• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coffee or Tea?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earl Grey is always my first choice in tea, The wife prefers spices teas, But we both agree fresh ground coffee is the beverage for us!

I buy my coffee "green" aka unroasted from sweet marias online and roast em my self. The trick (aside from learning to read the roast is letting them wait/ aerate for 12 to 24 hrs. The trick in ref is learning to roast a day or 2 ahead of time.

I buy my coffee "green" aka unroasted ..., and roast em my self.

OK so like when I tried this the first time, I didn't get the beans very brown, so when I ground them and made coffee, it looked like tea, and I tried a cup and it tasted weak, so...,
I roasted some more, darker, and tried again, but again it tasted too weak, so...,
finally I roasted some very dark, and tried a third time, and it tasted right...

BUT you see the amount of caffeine in the beans has not much to do with the roasted color of the beans, but it is water soluble, so when you boil the coffee, caffeine comes out in a big way compared to say a drip coffee maker...,

So...., after the third "test cup"...., I-was-talkin-real-fast-without-taking-a-breath-and-had-to-sit-down-to-keep-my-heart-from-jumpin-out-of-my-chest..... :shocked2:

I'm better now.

LD

Actually, With coffee, the lighter the roast, the more caffeine, the darker you roast the beans the more you burn off, just like cooking with wine. Now it is true that the better saturated the water, the more caffeine you will have, but if you were to equally, saturate the water with a light roast verses a dark roast, you would find the light roast is higher octane, and then you may look like this :shocked2:

In camp its army camp coffee that's hot and black (boiling water a fist and pinch of grounds 1/2 tin cup of cool water and couple eggs still in the shell)in the evening a shot of Jameson's. At the house drip coffee (wife don't like camp coffee)

Preacher Jeremy said:
Actually, With coffee, the lighter the roast, the more caffeine, the darker you roast the beans the more you burn off, just like cooking with wine. Now it is true that the better saturated the water, the more caffeine you will have, but if you were to equally, saturate the water with a light roast verses a dark roast, you would find the light roast is higher octane, and then you may look like this :shocked2:

exactly so. Another way to get "more flavour" from yer beans is get a hardier bean; for more than a decade, I was a huge fan of Kenya AA. Then... I dunno, guess my tastes matured, Kenya has :shocked2: CAFFIEND! but not a whole lot of body to it. This unfortunately also applies to green beans, if you roast em hard nuff to have "flavour", that flavour is closest to char cloth.
I switched to Colombian beans and have had for the most part a grand time of it since. Also, you wld be AMAZED how many "friends" show up if you roast in yer camp :haha: :wink:

when did coffee first show up in America?
how do you guys roast your beans in the feild? could they be roasted in a frying pan as if parching corn or do they require oven roasting?
were beans sold green and roasted by the user in the colonial times?

creek

oh, should have added I usually carry tea if alone because it is just easier and faster to me but I much prefer black coffee.

creek

I couldn't tell you exactly when coffee showed up in the colonies, but I know for a fact that it was a common beverage by the Revolution. In fact, after the Boston Tea Party, tea was labeled as the drink of the Brits, and coffee was labeled the patriotic hot beverage. I also know that many a discussion over how to go about starting and maintaining a revolution was discussed by are founding fathers at coffee houses leading up to Lexington and Concord. :2

As to the question about roasting coffee beans, Yes you can use can use a standard skillet, just don't let the beans sit to long, and don't use oil.(you want to dry roast them) The trick is to keep them moving, so as to not scorch them. Roast them to the color you like grind them, brew them. :stir:

Preacher Jeremy said:
I couldn't tell you exactly when coffee showed up in the colonies, but I know for a fact that it was a common beverage by the Revolution.
"The Pennsylvania Gazette
Date: February 4, 1729

Parcel of very good hard Soap, and Coffee to be sold at very reasonable rates by Edward Shippen."

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
February 24, 1730

ON Wednesday the Twenty fifth of this Instant February, at Three o'Clock in the Afternoon, at the Coffee house in Philadelphia, will be exposed to Sale by publick Vendue, Two Tracts of Land, Late the Estate of Jonathan Dickinson, Esq; deceased;"

Spence

Yes indeed, when I tried my experiment, it was with a dry, iron skillet, and I roasted them over a fire. You can pre-roast them, if for some reason you don't want to carry the iron skillet, but don't grind them until you are ready to make the coffee. The flavor is better.

LD

Sounds like cowboy coffee. Roasted in skillet then smashed with pistol butt then boiled and strained through neckkerchief, or teeth, if you're really tough. :haha:

Yep pretty much, though you can drop in an eggshell and it will help the grounds settle. You can also swing the coffee pot like an Australian Tea-Billy to help the grounds settle..., as long as the bale on the coffee pot is strong enough. :shocked2:

LD

I put my grounds in a piece of cheese cloth and tie it with a piece of cotton string. Boil it that way, and no grounds in the mouth. :grin:

Bring the grounds to a simmer for a few minutes. Take off the fire and dribble in some cold water to settle the grounds.

I drink coffee at home, but I'm one of those heathens that has to have lots of cream and sugar or creamer in it. If I'm camping light, it's too much hassle and I'll drink tea. Otherwise, I find a small tin of evaporated milk holds just enough to make my morning coffee AND my morning oatmeal!

Latest posts

Back