• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Grey finish ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a spray on product for removing rust that contains phosphoric acid. I spray it on and let it work for about one hour then wipe it off with a wet cloth that I soak in a baking solution then wipe it down this time with only a wet cloth then dry the part and wax it down. Navel jelly also works. This finish is all gray looking if you want a splotchy look then use a cold blue solution and rub it back lightly with an abrasive pad or 4/0 steel wool.

I use a spray on product for removing rust that contains phosphoric acid. I spray it on and let it work for about one hour then wipe it off with a wet cloth that I soak in a baking solution then wipe it down this time with only a wet cloth then dry the part and wax it down. Navel jelly also works. This finish is all gray looking if you want a splotchy look then use a cold blue solution and rub it back lightly with an abrasive pad or 4/0 steel wool.
How well does the grey color hold up to handling and use?

How well does the grey color hold up to handling and use?
It all depends on how much you shoot & clean it. I find that it will need to be re-applied to get you back to where it was when you first did it. For me I shoot this gun maybe 2 times a month and the French Gray has lasted me about 8 months but it is easy to re-do it when it starts to show signs of fingerprint rust/discoloring. I got a fowler hanging on the wall for over 18 years and it look like I just did it a week ago but it does not get used.

I'm still new to these cold browning solutions , ive used Birchwood Casey for every build but these last two BUT ....with B.W.C. a French grey is easy to achieve as what ever you hot brown with that solution the next day its grey ....then you keep adding more solution and heat to go to brown stage so ....my question ..... Can French Grey finish be achieved with Mountain Laurel or .....he// , what's that other one called ? Can't remember right now ... Homer Dangler ! ......Well , I can't use heat for B.W.C. because I have non removable inlet metal parts in the stock otherwise I'd just use B.W.Casey again ....but not possible with this build . I think a French Grey look would look really good .... Any who ....thanks for any input
Yup I just get acid nitrate and dilute w distilled water or jax or they will all work for grey

I thought to do a French Gray you browned the barrel, boiled it blue, and then rubbed it back to gray.

I browned and boiled mine and it turned out black, which I then polished on a denim wheel. Not what I had in mind, but I’ve gotten nothing but compliments. Goes with the dark tannic/iron oxide/tung stock (dark).

I thought to do a French Gray you browned the barrel, boiled it blue, and then rubbed it back to gray.

I browned and boiled mine and it turned out black, which I then polished on a denim wheel. Not what I had in mind, but I’ve gotten nothing but compliments. Goes with the dark tannic/iron oxide/tung stock (dark).
Photos?

Latest posts

Back