• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clean out screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For anybody that has a TC Hawken and is looking to replace that small clean out screw on the bolster. You can replace it with a SS 8x32 grub screw for 40c at Ace hardware!! Online I have seen people trying to sell them for as much as $19 each What?

Don’t know, don’t have one.
the proper name of a clean out screw is’dropicus lostus ‘screw. As soon as you pull one out it can get in to an alternate universe.
I have redrilled more then one hole retapped and put in cheaper machine screw
If you can find a screw that will fit your hole it will work

Far better to remember that that screw was there for access to drill the flash channel. After replacing many breech plugs to replace that buggered up "clean out" screw, T/C redesigned the breech plug to eliminate it.

There is no need to remove that screw to clean the rifle that can't be accomplished by removing the nipple. I haven't removed that screw in my T/C "Hawken" for about 35 years.

You can leave that screw alone in the drum of a CVA / Traditions too.

I replaced the original ugly screw with a set screw. Easy to remove, should I choose to unscrew it. The Allen head captures the set screw and holds it upon removal. A touch of anti- seize grease does wonders for any thread exposed to black powder fouling.

Most of those screws you get from ACE have a tapered nose on them. If you run those in until they stop. That tapered end will be smack in the way of the nipple. If the nipple is a standard length you might be fine. But I can tell you for a fact that if you try to put a Platinum nipple in that breech the nipple will hit the tapered end on that grub screw. I know that for a fact.

Just trying to be helpful!!!!
I appreciate the information and that you are trying to be helpful. Cleanout screws are a topic that comes up often on the Forum. In a hooked breech gun, the removal of the clean out screw will allow quite the display of water flushing the fouling out of the barrel and breech area. The nipple provides a 1/4" hole versus the #8 hole so far more cleaning solution (Okay water and maybe a bit of dish soap) can pass through the nipple seat. We do have to sure that never seize is applied to the threads. Any replacement needs to be the correct length to ensure the nipple threads are clear of the replacement screw. Far more helpful would be to identify a replacement screw that could be installed and the slot filed off to prevent the loss or the ugly sight of that soft screw head being marred by removal when the threads are locked in place by fouling. To be sure, there are many users of the T/C and other rifles with a "clean out" screw that find the "clean out" screw feature a valuable part of a thorough cleaning procedure.

I appreciate the information and that you are trying to be helpful. Cleanout screws are a topic that comes up often on the Forum. In a hooked breech gun, the removal of the clean out screw will allow quite the display of water flushing the fouling out of the barrel and breech area. The nipple provides a 1/4" hole versus the #8 hole so far more cleaning solution (Okay water and maybe a bit of dish soap) can pass through the nipple seat. We do have to sure that never seize is applied to the threads. Any replacement needs to be the correct length to ensure the nipple threads are clear of the replacement screw. Far more helpful would be to identify a replacement screw that could be installed and the slot filed off to prevent the loss or the ugly sight of that soft screw head being marred by removal when the threads are locked in place by fouling. To be sure, there are many users of the T/C and other rifles with a "clean out" screw that find the "clean out" screw feature a valuable part of a thorough cleaning procedure.
I take it out then run a pipe cleaner through the hole all the way in to barrel. helps clear , clean, and oil the hole to barrel.

@johnraleksa, the pipe cleaner through the removable plug is certainly a good method to thoroughly clean the flash channel. As long as care (a properly fitting screwdriver tip) is taken in removal of the threaded plug and anti-seize lubricant is applied when the plug is reinstalled, then you can be assured that your rifle is clean and ready for the next time it is to be fired.

Far better to remember that that screw was there for access to drill the flash channel. After replacing many breech plugs to replace that buggered up "clean out" screw, T/C redesigned the breech plug to eliminate it.

There is no need to remove that screw to clean the rifle that can't be accomplished by removing the nipple. I haven't removed that screw in my T/C "Hawken" for about 35 years.

You can leave that screw alone in the drum of a CVA / Traditions too.
Thank you for clearing up a mystery for me. Alway wondered what the purpose of that screw was on my Patriot pistol.
I did use it once, I dry balled a round and not having a nipple wrench pulled it to dribble enough powder into the breech to fire out the patched ball. 😏

I just bought a TC Hawken .45 from a forum member. I noticed it had that little screw. I tried getting it out but couldn’t. I was a little worried about that, until I read all the posts on this thread. I’m just going to leave it alone. Thanks for advice

That screw should not be totally ignored. I took the one out of My last green mountain LRH stainless steel barrel. I could see something in there. I used the endoscope and discovered it was a metal sliver. That sliver would have caused me troubles had I not found it.
Now that it's removed I don't plan to take the screw out again.

Attachments

• 20201224_132742.jpg
    20201224_132742.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 35
  • New 45 A-1.jpg
    New 45 A-1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201224_140824.jpg
    20201224_140824.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 35
Back