• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early birthday present: Remington 1862 Contract Rifle (or is it 1863?). Also called the "Zouave". What should go in the patchbox?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radiolucent

32 Cal
Reaction score
I managed to get an early bday gift this year with an original Remington rifle musket, lock marked 1863. It looks to be in almost "New Old Stock" condition, with some dings in the stock and metal. I did find rust inside the nipple and the channel in the bolster that I had to put a small punch through to open it up. If it has been fired it doesn't look like very much. Other than the nipple channel there's a bit of dust and rust in the bore and I plan to clean it and shoot.

The patchbox however is empty. I found some pics online of different tools/accessories that should be included but they are all different. For sure the spare nipple holder is there and I have put the original in it, and replaced it with a modern one. I'm not sure what else should go in there to be at least somewhat historically accurate. Any ideas?

Attachments

• PXL_20230904_203822809.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230904_203822809.MP.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230915_032615828.jpg
    PXL_20230915_032615828.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230915_032630292.jpg
    PXL_20230915_032630292.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230915_032640571.jpg
    PXL_20230915_032640571.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230915_032733470.jpg
    PXL_20230915_032733470.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo_20230917203932.jpg
    Photo_20230917203932.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 0
Generally, only a spare nipple was carried in the "patch" box along with a jag for cleaning. Because these were mostly not issued, there are some excellent originals floating around.

I managed to get an early bday gift this year with an original Remington rifle musket, lock marked 1863. It looks to be in almost "New Old Stock" condition, with some dings in the stock and metal. I did find rust inside the nipple and the channel in the bolster that I had to put a small punch through to open it up. If it has been fired it doesn't look like very much. Other than the nipple channel there's a bit of dust and rust in the bore and I plan to clean it and shoot.

The patchbox however is empty. I found some pics online of different tools/accessories that should be included but they are all different. For sure the spare nipple holder is there and I have put the original in it, and replaced it with a modern one. I'm not sure what else should go in there to be at least somewhat historically accurate. Any ideas?
Spare nipple, musket tool; I examined a minty, original "Zouave" recently; the workmanship and quality of an original compared to the repros is amazing. Wood, metal, fitting, etc., all highest caliber.

Don't forget Nipple Wrench!

Latest posts

Back