• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield as a Sharpshooter Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been reading that the Ordnance Dept made some of the Sharpshooter units in the US Army use the standard 1861 Springfield as an interim Sharpshooter Rifle .

The term Sharpshooter , according to my research basically applied to soldiers who were more skilled marksmen and were positioned at flanks to engage point targets and target artillery.

The specialized Sharpshooters like Berdans Sharpshooters had to put 20 rounds into a 10" target at 200 Yards to be accepted into the ranks , which would seem highly challenging with a 61 Springfield using the "as issued" sights but a skilled shooter could probably achieve this. Berdan's Unit seems to have also used 61's too, until they finally got the Sharps rifles.

There was another thread which may interest you on this very topic recently: Springfield Muskets and Sharpshooter Units

I don't know much about the topic, but it is my understanding that the venerable '61 saw a lot of action as a sharpshooter weapon. There is a link in my post on that thread which may provide more information.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back