• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cigar tobacco in a pipe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This may sound odd, but I assure you the question is legitimate. I have many left over cigars that I don't smoke, but would like to use them to pass the time during events. So is it safe to smoke the tobacco from them out of a clay pipe? I realise there is no filter on a pipe, but there wouldn't be any inhalation either. Thanks!

I have cut up cigars several times and used them in my pipe. Looks more appropriate than smoking the cigar, and seems to work well. I do have to tamp the tobacco a little more often, but not too much of a hassle. I have seen some fellows even smoke plug tobacco, although it is a little harsh for my tastes.

As far as danger, see the general surgeons warning :grin:

Cigar tobacco will smoke in a pipe, but it sure isn't the best. As for the danger, don't do it when you are handling black powder. :nono: I sold life insurance for a time and for years our policies said if you didn't smoke cigarettes, you got the non-smoker rate. However, that changed later and any tobacco use cost the policyholder more. Whether that change came from later information or political correctness, I don't know. I'm 73 and something is likely to kill me pretty quick, so I enjoy my pipes and cigars. :haha: graybeard

You might want to try mixing the cigar tobacco with a flavored pipe blend such as Borkum Riff, or Black Forest.....Cigar tobacco tends to be a bit on the harsh side, so it might improve the flavor.

Thanks for the information everyone! I look forward to having a smoke around the fire during the coming seasons. :hatsoff:

If I understand you correctly, you want to smoke the tobacco left in the cigar butts that are too short to smoke safely as is?

Well, the tobaccos at the back end of a cigar are not really intended to be smoked, as they are used more as a filter. YOu can smoke them, but they are not the quality of tobacco used up in the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of a cigar. Why not put them in a jar, and when you have several butts saved, put water in the jar, and let the butts steep for a couple of days? Then you can pour this into your garden hose sprayer, and spray your plants, and the foundation of your house to get rid of the bugs, ants, roaches, and other creepy crawly things. The nicotine is a great insect repellant. If it rains, make some new soup with the butts, and spray again. I had a crabapple tree that had been damaged by storms, and carpenter ants were eating it to death. I stuffed my cigar buts into the main crack in the tree, and left there over the Fall and Winter, and Spring. When we were out cutting the lawn the next May, I checked the tree. No cigar Butts, or tobacco evident, No ants, and no sawdust residue. The tree began to heal itself that summer. Best darn insect repellant I have ever used. A chemist told me about this BTW.

Tobacco was the common insecticide from almost the get go in North America by Europeans.

Saw a modern recipe just the other day, one pound of tobacco, two cups of liquid soap & two gallons of water. Mix in and let set for a couple weeks, strain out the tobacco solids and spray away. I will be making up a batch, for the bloody aphids will soon be upon us here in AZ and it said would kill them on one application.

haha, no I am intending to use the entire supply of the cigar tobacco for pipe smoking. I never smoke cigars, but I have a bunch from when I did, but i'd like to use the tobacco from them as a pipe tobacco instead of just throwing it away. Thanks for the tip, though. I never knew that.

Why not just smoke the cigars as cigars. They were available during the 18th century.

Randy Hedden

Randy: Never ask a man about his cigar. When I was first working, a friend and I set out to try every brand of cigar available. Needlesstosay, some of them were like smoking camel dung! To this day, there are cheap cigars sold that are so foul, only potheads buy them, to slice them open, and replace the tobaccos with marijuana, and tape them shut, in the misquided and mistaken belief that the wrapper will disguise the smell of MJ if the police come calling. These are called " blunts" by potheads, an unfortunate stealing of a brand name of a cheap cigar that is better than most.I grew up next door to a man who smoked Swisher Sweets, every day. The smell was nauseating, but I even bought one of those and tried it just to cross it off my list! To each his own. But I like using the butts for pest control. The neighbors are always surprised to learn what is in my sprayer!

I have to agree, I have had some pretty foul cigars that have given me a hint as to what battery acid must taste like. Is pipe tobacco less strong than cigar tobacco? It always smells as if it is smoother.

One thing you may want to try is to crumple up the cigar and put it in a baggie overnight with a thin slice of apple or two. Cigar tobacco tends to be drier and smoke harsher in a pipe. The moisture from the apple is drawn into the tobacco. (Emergency Humador CPR :haha: )

Yep. I'se done it. Sometimes I like a cigar, but other times a nice pipeful is all I need.

Thanks for the tip, Stumpkiller. I'll definatly try that. Does any one sort of apple work better than others? My guess is the riper the better. Thanks again, everyone! :thumbsup:

Yes, you can smoke cigars in a pipe...been done probably thousands of times by thousands of people. Er...if the cigars are all dried out..apt to be a rather harsh smoke though. Now, I have smoked pipes, cigars, and cigarettes since I was 13 years old..am 67 now. I kinda have to laugh at those tobacco phobes that warn about doing this..doing that. Maybe they haven't gotten old enough yet.

Tobacco of the 1800's and beyond used to come in the from of a twist or cigar shaped wad that was wrapped with string. Tearing up a cigar and smoking it in a pipe wouldn't be close to the real thing, it would be exactly like it was done back then. Besides, who cares.
I like to use small piece of char cloth to light my pipe. Pack the tobacco into the pipe, strike a hot ember onto the char cloth with flint and steel, place it on top of the tobacco and puff away. It's amazing how easy it lights.

Enjoy......

Hangfyer, I have a bunch of pipe tobacco including some twist. What kind of cigars ya got? Maybe we can work a trade?
Hit me off line if ya want.
be safe... Ted
[email protected]

why smoke a pipe to make it look PC,,,i dont smoke and im not gonna to look better for someone else,,,

I have smoked cigars in my pipes. Sweet like cherry? Nope, more like smokin' rawhide and weed but who cares? I like the idea of not letting anything go to waste. My grumpy great-grampa used to save his cigar leftovers and worn-out chews for his pipe on a rainy day. I'm glad I wasn't there when he lit his pipe, though...

Well, I tried it. I can't say that it was pleasant, but it was certainly tolerable. :hmm:

Barry,

For some of us, it is the only way we can get a drag, when the old lady doesnt let us smoke around the house! :rotf:

More rendezvous'
B

Back