• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pipe in the possibles bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes to cure a clay pipe that has absorbed too much juice from the tobacco, you indeed simply lay it on hardwood coals. USE TONGS to remove it after a few minutes and lay it aside where it may cool as a clay pipe even when it isn't glowing with heat may still be hot enough to take skin off you. Besides the heat from the fire will likely require the use of tongs to get close to the coals, anyway.

BEWARE that you do this to a pipe that is a full day from being last smoked. IF you smoke the pipe, then decide it's time to cure and lay it in the fire, moisture from the tobacco will likely still be in the ceramic of the bowl, and when it turns to steam the bowl will burst. :(

LD
I take four pipes with me to an event of a a trek. I have ten smokers at home. No matter tween clay and best brier a pipe needs to rest and dry several days between smoke days.
Laid on the fire to clean a wet bowl can burst as said.
Undried, if you had a smoke around the camp fire and laid it aside, then in the morning you want a bowl you first puff will taste like the mother of all nasty old ashtrays you ever smelled
Break out a clean one to greet the dawn.
A rags end can be twisted in to the bowl to clean it and should be done regularly

I take four pipes with me to an event of a a trek. I have ten smokers at home. No matter tween clay and best brier a pipe needs to rest and dry several days between smoke days.
Laid on the fire to clean a wet bowl can burst as said.
Undried, if you had a smoke around the camp fire and laid it aside, then in the morning you want a bowl you first puff will taste like the mother of all nasty old ashtrays you ever smelled
Break out a clean one to greet the dawn.
A rags end can be twisted in to the bowl to clean it and should be done regularly
Odd, I have never bothered to let a clay pipe 'rest', but briar pipes Always.

I take just two clay pipes, on incase I break the other. That dirty one in the photo is my main one, especially if I am going where there will be photographers (they seem to like seeing it). For mountain man, Victorian, or CW I take a clean ou partial dirty one.

With clay I have never noticed a 'foul taste' from a dirty pipe - and I am a heavy smoker. But I have smoked to where the juices make my fingers sticky; that be cleaning time.

Speaking of pipes and tobacco, here's a little poem that was written on a wooden cigarette box my father owned:

Tobacco is a dirty weed.
I like it.
It satisfies no normal need.
I like it.
It makes you thin.
It makes you lean.
It takes the hair right off your bean.
It's the worst damn stuff I've ever seen.

I like it.

(Graham Lee Hemminger)

Last edited:
Tobacco is an Indian weed,
Grows green at morn, is cut down at eve;
It shows our decay;
We fade as hay.
Think on this,-when you smoke tobacco.

The pipe that is so lily-white,
Wherein so many take delight,
Gone with a touch;
Man's life is such,