• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chrony a black powder shotgun can it be done?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pevtsovy

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm working up a load for my Pedersoli 10ga and I would like to know what the velocity is coming out of the barrel.

Can you chrony a black powder shotgun?

I have, depends on the chrony, best to make a paper shot cup to contain the lead as long as possible.

Also a good idea to fabricate an aluminum? shield to keep the wads/cards etc from hitting the equipment.

Last edited:
I have a magneto speed that could probably do that, considering that it's set right at the muzzle shot expansion wouldn't be a problem.

Curious how it would react to the wadding typically used in the muzzle loading smooth bores as it tends to trail away, wonder if it would give multiple readings. I use an Oehler 35P that reads just dandy, but the pathways through the screens are quite large and an aluminum shield keeps the wadding etc. from interfering with the reading.

Shooting my Pedersoli 10 I Regularly took waterfowl out to fifty yards with no problem. Now I was shooting my bismuth 4's and 2's at 1 1/2 oz but again no problem if I did my part. My average velocity from a five shot string was 1105 FPS. I was also using slightly over bore size leather OP wads and Wool Felt wads lubed in beeswax and olive oil mixture. At the end of the day it is what you put into it that counts towards what you will get out of it, or should I say what you will be getting out the end of your barrel's 😁
This is a quote from a recent post I made. I shoot about 18 inches over the chronograph at 3 feet from the muzzle with the clear plastic shield on and without using the guide rods and covers. I shoot on cloudy or mostly cloudy days. No direct sunlight on the device. I have no problem with the wads hitting it just some light powder residue. I would definitely shoot a minimum of 12 inches over it. Powder was Olde Eynsford and Swiss. 120 grains.

Yup. I chrono all manner up firearms quite often, including shotguns. Just be careful not to shoot the LCD.

Back