• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chiefs Grade Trade Gun Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if the stock used for the Chiefs Grade Trade Gun is the same as the standard Trade Gun?
Are you asking about original guns or something a vendor offers?

Trade guns were made by many countries for 3 centuries. So, a lot of variation. What we typically call chiefs grade were most commonly stocked in walnut, as were most trade guns.

Are you asking about original guns or something a vendor offers?

Trade guns were made by many countries for 3 centuries. So, a lot of variation. What we typically call chiefs grade were most commonly stocked in walnut, as were most trade guns.
Something that a vendor offers that could be modified to resemble a Chiefs Grade.

Something that a vendor offers that could be modified to resemble a Chiefs Grade.
Vendors play fast and loose when it comes to historical accuracy. I’ve seen plenty of re-creations of French and English trade guns built in all sorts of American woods - cherry, maple, and so on, which would never be found on trade guns exported from those countries in the 17 and 1800s. I’d buy “For Trade and Treaty” if you want a good, non-internet resource about trade guns that is inexpensive and of high quality.

I have that book, and my only complaint about it is many of the small, inset close-up photos are hard to make out, very muddy or not detailed. The full size photos are very nice.

Vendors play fast and loose when it comes to historical accuracy. I’ve seen plenty of re-creations of French and English trade guns built in all sorts of American woods - cherry, maple, and so on, which would never be found on trade guns exported from those countries in the 17 and 1800s. I’d buy “For Trade and Treaty” if you want a good, non-internet resource about trade guns that is inexpensive and of high quality.
I have the book For Trade and Treaty. I believe the only example of a Chiefs Grade is the Benjamin Willets gun which is a percussion. The stock on that gun is a little different than the standard Trade Gun. Have also seen the Caywood version of the Chiefs Grade. Not sure how accurate of an example that gun is. Also does anyone know if there is any reproductions of the
Indian wrist medalion?

Chiefs grade guns would be stocked in walnut. I haven’t seen the medallion available anywhere. Small market specialty item, would have to be fabricated, I think.

Latest posts

Back