• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling Ideas for Trade Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0639.jpeg

The rear sling fixture could be a 2" squaire cut nail in the bottom of the stock. Nails like this were avaliable on the frontier. Using a leather scrap sling , punch a hole in the rear end of the sling with a small slit foreward out of the punched hole , just large enough to work the sling over the nail head. The front of the sling can be , either attached with a sling swivel soldered to the bottom of the barrel , like fowler , or taking a frontier approach , slit and tied around the stock and barrel 1/4th down from thw muzzle.

I really know very little about historical, period correctness. Having said that, I know sling swivels existed at the time even if they were uncommon. Lewis had swivels installed on all of the short rifles he ordered and 15 slings to go with them. The pictures I saw seemed to be shaped like a D ring with the flat part pinned through the forestock, and similar through the bottom of the buttstock a few inches above the toe.

That said, I don't think they were very common. Again I'm not the person to listen to, just throwing out a tidbit you might not have known

Traditional sling attachments usually did not "swivel", they usually were just a metal shackle in the forestock and a large headed post in the butstock.

1708141265853.png
1708141476461.png

I had Jackie Brown put them on the trade gun he built for me. I like the set up.
20200412_233130.jpg

The photo is not great but you get the idea.

Several suppliers have these. TOTW shows a good selection.

IronHand

I really know very little about historical, period correctness. Having said that, I know sling swivels existed at the time even if they were uncommon. Lewis had swivels installed on all of the short rifles he ordered and 15 slings to go with them. The pictures I saw seemed to be shaped like a D ring with the flat part pinned through the forestock, and similar through the bottom of the buttstock a few inches above the toe.

That said, I don't think they were very common. Again I'm not the person to listen to, just throwing out a tidbit you might not have known
From the dozens of original trade guns currently extant and the dug relics. Exactly zero that have been released for publication have any evidence of being modified or made for any form of sling attachment. ArmorerRoy’s arrangement might be as good as it gets if you want to keep it more historical.

I'm not crazy about slings either but they can be handy at times ....checking traps , draggin deer ....see if I can find picks if slings swivels ive made for folks ...found a pic .I made one like this for the buttstock too , no pic. Easy to make these , forge these ... You can use one of those large screw in buttons too for the buttstock instead of a swivel ....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240120-195043.png
    Screenshot_20240120-195043.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Guess I should have thought of that. But…..
What happens when you stumble on a deer while walking to and from?

I have a fowler that I haven’t figured out the sling situation for yet. Also have a club butt with a ring and button similar to what RobM suggested.

Guess I should have thought of that. But…..
What happens when you stumble on a deer while walking to and from?

I have a fowler that I haven’t figured out the sling situation for yet. Also have a club butt with a ring and button similar to what RobM suggested.
I never sling a gun while moving, unless I’m dragging something.

Back