• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling Ideas for Trade Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to add a sling to the Trade Gun anyone have any pics or recommendations.
While you’ll see studs and ‘swivels’ on Jaegers style guns from the later 17th century and onward, I don’t recall seeing any on Trade Guns.

I’ve made and used a leather sling that fit and laced around the stock butt and had a loop that attached it to the barrel, but did not care for it except when not actively hunting. I found that the leather loop would at the most inconvenient times buckle up or otherwise block the view of the front sight. Version 2.0 used thinner leather and had the ramrod passing through the loop between the forward ramrod pipes. Thinking about, I quickly realized that any sudden force pulling on the sling (like when I might stumble) would only be supported by the two small pins holding the pipes to the very thin and fragile wooden forearm. So, I went to stowing the easily removable sling when actively hunting, and looping it around the barrel and forearm for carrying the gun when not actively hunting. Only mentioning because what seems like a great idea in theory or in the shop, may not work at all in the field.

https://blackpowderbags.com
I use these slings for my originals, especially my Jaegers

And for my longrifles that don't have sling points
https://blackpowderbags.com/rs-5008-universal-long-rifle-sling/
I put one of the Jaeger slings on my original because it already had the sling swivels on it, I like his stuff.

I only wish he would take requests which he will not do, if what he has does not work he will not modify it, but again, I have been happy with my purchases from him.

I have used the slip on slings. I carry one in my bag and use it when dragging out the deer or if traversing really deep snow sometimes, and i need both hands free incase I encounter a "snow snake" and take a header!!
I also use a slip on, works fine. pop with deer.jpg

Heres a Pedersoli Trade gun kit I just finished, this week.
I know its not PC, but I wanted something sturdy. I got all the parts from TOW. I silver soldered the top swivel on to the BBL. It will work fine for me. I made the sling also out of 1 1/2 inch white strapping material, that I sewed a leather strip on. Its a my copy of a Confederate sling, of the war of Northern Aggression era.
I did the same on my Pedersoli Brown Bess Carbine.
Dave

Attachments

• 20240217_165810.jpg
    20240217_165810.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240217_165822.jpg
    20240217_165822.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240218_131013.jpg
    20240218_131013.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Heres a Pedersoli Trade gun kit I just finished, this week.
I know its not PC, but I wanted something sturdy. I got all the parts from TOW. I silver soldered the top swivel on to the BBL. It will work fine for me. I made the sling also out of 1 1/2 inch white strapping material, that I sewed a leather strip on. Its a my copy of a Confederate sling, of the war of Northern Aggression era.
I did the same on my Pedersoli Brown Bess Carbine.
Dave
I like it!

Looking to add a sling to the Trade Gun anyone have any pics or recommendations.
Triple K #62 for muzzleloaders is an excellent sling. Laces to the buttstock and attaches to the barrel and front stock. All leather. MSRP is $45.00 and MidwayUSA has it for $29.99. I've had mine for about five years, Needs no sling swivels. Check it out.

Attachments

• Scan_20240219.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Triple K #62 for muzzleloaders is an excellent sling. Laces to the buttstock and attaches to the barrel and front stock. All leather. MSRP is $45.00 and MidwayUSA has it for $29.99. I've had mine for about five years, Needs no sling swivels. Check it out.
The maker’s advertising photograph shows the exact problem I mentioned in post #21 of this thread that I had with the type of sling that wraps around the barrel, where it obscures the view of the front sight. Great for carrying the the gun, but not practical to have on the gun when actually hunting or shooting based my actual experience.
1708398833568.jpeg

... Theses were made to fit the width of the customers wide sling . They are easily cold forged from.round stock found at the hard ware .Just beat a side flat , then the opposite side then the other two sides ... Bends are easy ... Beat ends flat and drill holes . Solder but one side for stud ...use washers in between swivel and wood !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240120-195043.png
    Screenshot_20240120-195043.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240217-181453.png
    Screenshot_20240217-181453.png
    805.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Somewhere, I saw a musket where they had drilled a hole in the rear of the stock and ran a leather loop through it. Attached the rear of the sling to that.

Back