• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers stock finish streaking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Holmes

BarefeetPete
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im sure its been asked before but im new here. Im using Chambers stock finish and im having a hard time with getting streaks in finish. Im applying in light coats small areas at a time with my fingers. My hands are rough so I've even sanded my rough finger tips smooth.. "desperate men take desperate measures" I'm buffing between coats every 24 hours with 000 steel wool. Any tips tricks or advice would be appreciated.

Pete.

Last edited:
I've never used Chambers finish so I don't know about it. But, what has always worked for me is to apply a coat and then wipe it off with a blue paper towel or piece of soft cloth as soon as it gets just a little sticky. It's very important to go over every part of the stock or some clumps will remain. If the finish sets up too much to rub out, just add a little more and keep polishing.

I use spar varnish. I dilute 50:50 with turpentine and add a splash of japan dryer. Any suitable oil based finish is fine. They key is to dilute any thick finish. I want a finish that looks plausibly old timie. I am not trying to get the Weatherby mile deep epoxy look.

It is a a good idea to apply the first coat with the scotchbrite. The sawdust will help fill the grain. Wipe off any standing finish before setting it aside to dry.

After that, I apply very thin coats with small wad nylon stocking material. The nylon fabric is non absorbent and very soft. It has no lint. Between the thinned finish and the soft applicator there are no tracks in the finish. It flows out completely flat. It dries hard in a couple of hours in the sunlight. I do a new coat in 24 hours. I scuff with maroon or grey scotchbrite between coats. It takes about five coats on maple, so five days.

Thanks for the tip!
It seems that I get more into building as the weather gets cooler. Too cool to work outside so stocks get the finish when it'll take longer to dry. I finger apply the finish then wipe it off, then the stock gets set in the corner to dry for however many days it takes to dry.
Leave it alone!! I know it's hard NOT to touch it BUT, patience IS a virtue. And even after a week or so, fine steel wool will smooth it out more. You do one or two and before too long, YOU'LL be the expert giving advice. :thumb: ;)

On the bottle it says to slop it on and wipe off the excess. My favorite finish but costly with shipping so I use Tru-oil now.

Here is Chambers finished stock with the finish slopped on and the excess wiped off, it probably has 5 coats of finish on the stock with a walnut pore sealer applied first and sanded back to bare wood.

fowler aged finish.JPG

Hi Folks,
Often when you ask advice about finishes you will get responses that suggest one method is the way and fits all circumstances. That is simply wrong. For example, you will have trouble hand rubbing a finish if it is formulated to dry fast or the weather is hot and dry. Many of our modern finishes are not really oils (despite what they say on their labels) but derivitives of some oil mixed with solvents and/or varnish. Under some conditions they can be hand rubbed, particularly if they are thinned to slow drying. Often hand rubbing is not a good idea. Most of these finishes are designed to be applied with a brush or rag, let sit a few minutes, and then all non absorbed finish completely wiped off. Pure oils such as linseed and tung, can be hand rubbed forever. They actually need the heat generated from your hand to begin polymerizing the oil. However, they always dry very slowly, which is why the old timers used those oils mixed with a resin varnish so they dried much faster. The successful tradesman could not have stocks taking months to dry. He needed to get them out the door and be paid.

dave

On the bottle it says to slop it on and wipe off the excess. My favorite finish but costly with shipping so I use Tru-oil now.

Here is Chambers finished stock with the finish slopped on and the excess wiped off, it probably has 5 coats of finish on the stock with a walnut pore sealer applied first and sanded back to bare wood.

View attachment 244094
Thanks for the tip and the picture. Helps a lot.

Latest posts

Back