• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone else been getting failure to ignite with CCI #11 lately?

I've got a number of sidelock percussion guns ranging from custom made, T/C, Investarms, and CVA. And they all seem to get a failure to ignite every dozen or so shots. By failure to ignite I mean the first hammer blow does not make the cap pop, but all it takes is to re-cock the hammer and then they go off just fine.

I thought maybe it was the locks or the nipples, but now that I'm seeing it happen with every gun we are using I'm suspecting its the caps. These are all newer caps bought after the Obama shortage.

I'm wondering if anyone else is noticing this and if they switched brands.

Are the guns new or older ones? Some caps require a sharper edge on the nipples. Over the years I have gotten many tins of caps that people had trouble with at shoots and pitched them. With a sharp edged nipple they worked just fine.It could be that your newer caps just require a sharper edge than the old ones did. :idunno:

Adui,

What other problems have you discovered?

I've polished the internals. I learned that grease is a no-no in the internals of a lock.

If it's not the caps I'm stumped.

By failure to ignite I mean the first hammer blow does not make the cap pop, but all it takes is to re-cock the hammer and then they go off just fine.

Classic indication of wrong size caps for yer rifle. Or wrong size nipples for yer caps. First strike pounds the cap down to the nip, second strike fires it. Turn down the nipples or replace with a smaller size. A good vendor, like TOW, can advise you on best choices for yer rifles.

If the caps go off the second time, then its not the caps. As the other Gent mentioned, its the fit on the nipple. Get new nipples or chuck the ones you got in a drill and file them down slightly.

CCI's have always been a little "tight" on some nipples- most notably those coming from the factory on Lyman rifles. They reliably go bang on the second smack, but it's pot luck on the first. A nipple change is always in order on Lymans.

Sounds like the same is going on here, making me wonder if the new batch of CCI caps is even tighter than usual. My money would be on that.

Reduce the nipple diameter a little. Use a drill or lathe to spin it. Cut with a file it if you can. A stone diamond lap if not. If it mashed from use a fill will likely do.

Black Jaque said:
Adui,

What other problems have you discovered?

I've polished the internals. I learned that grease is a no-no in the internals of a lock.

If it's not the caps I'm stumped.

I was having a nipple fouling issue for a short while after I switched powders. I discovered the culprit was the dummy behind the gun not making sure the fire channel was completely oil free before beginning my range day.

I blow the drum / nipple / breech area out with Brakleen now. Not very PC but then neither is the copious amounts of petroleum based gun oil I leave in it when its not being fired. (I assume petroleum based. I use CLP in all my firearms.)

As for cap nipple fit. I actually had to stop buying #11's and switch to the smaller #10's when I replaced the nipple. The 11's were simply too loose and would sometimes fall off.

However, I've never had a cap not go pop when I drop the hammer on it.

Black Jaque said:
Has anyone else been getting failure to ignite with CCI #11 lately?

By failure to ignite I mean the first hammer blow does not make the cap pop, but all it takes is to re-cock the hammer and then they go off just fine.
Use a cleaning patch and when you see the carbon building up on the outside of the nipple, just give it a twist with a patch and knock it off. It's not going all the way onto the nipple. First strike is seating it, second strike is normal. Just keep the nipple from getting too much buildup on it. I had the same issue, and a quick 2 second wipe cured it...

I like Griz's idea. That might be what the cause is since it doesn't seem to be the first few shots. It's more like the problem will sneak up on you - which makes it all the more frustrating. Because I've tried things like turning the nipples and thought I fixed the problem, until about 12 to 15 shots into the session - click!

I used to have a problem with the caps not firing until I turned down the nipple.
I also place a cap on the nipple then lower the hammer and gently push it down onto the nipple with my thumb seating it.
So far so good!
It's become a habit as I do it without thinking about it now, and especially if I'm hunting.

Most of the time it is a weak main spring this can be dangerous I have seen guns ignite when trying to remove a cap that has not ignited by the hammer blow
Feltwad

My lyman GPR had the same thing happening the first time out shooting it. I determined the outside of the nipple was getting dirty and not letting the cap seat all the way. Every few shots I clean the nipple real fast, and it solved the problem

Back