• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI Caps - CCI reply regarding availability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$2.85 a pound for 3F Hodgdon. Made in Scotland so they had to ship it here too. Not trying to trigger you into cussing but showing this for those newer to the sport.
🤣 Yep, damn shame ain't it? I sound like my old man when he used to say when he was a kid, candy bars were the size of license plates and you got change back from a nickel when you bought one.

He said "primers and caps" so he wasn't being specific about how many of each. Might be 999,000 primers and 1,000 caps and he's still telling you the truth. That's how it goes when they really don't want to answer the question.
I agree. That was what my thoughts were when the answer said "primers and caps".

That's because, it's being withheld and hoarded, I'll say it again, hoarded by the entities that receive the caps after they leave the factory. JMHO. Can't prove it, don't have any "inside" info, it's just the only explanation. I don't know why the Factory would lie about it; they're not under any legal program to even make the darn things in the first place.
also if they make a million a day 70-85 year old boomers would buy them up in 10 minutes

You guys actually think they make percussion caps everyday? I'm betting they tool up to make them once or twice a year, make as many as they think they'll sell (or have orders for), and mothball the equipment til next season. Kind of like Winchester making .218 Bee or .348 ammo; seasonal runs.

With all due respect for the affection given to the hobby of the membership here, demand for percussion caps is laughably small compared to any other type of primer.
but there are still not enough primers

Muzzleloader enthusiasts are a small minority and the next generation has even less interest in the shooting sports. Most kids these days would rather have a new video game than a BB gun. Heck many 16 year olds have no interest in even getting a drivers license much less learning how to use a firearm. It’s called social engineering. Percussion caps are low on the priority list for manufacturers.

Yeah surprisingly Bass Pro was $14 for regulars as well, I thought it was going to be higher priced so I had to snag them.

Haven't tried RWS yet but have heard good things for the 1075s.
I know they're a solid company as I've used their Air Rifles and pellets before which are usually top notch
They work great for my 1858 but oddly enough for my Remington pocket model and my 22 super companion they are the least reliable. I have 100% so far on the pocket model with the CCI number 11 with the slick shots

i won't be paying outrageous prices for # 11 caps. Won't be doing home made caps. Won't be shooting a rock lock for lack of caps.

i have a .50 caliber can full of Remington # 11 caps. i got those caps during the "Obama will outlaw muzzleloaders "panic: $2.99/100. Some times i grab CCI caps at Walmart: Remington caps don;'t fit my capper.

I have been to the part of the Federal ammunition factory where they make primers. They are definitely making millions of them every day.

Baloney. Look up ammoseek.com. Prices have come down, too. Caps? Plenty of RWS and Schuetzen available as posted on this forum numerous times. But, they're non-corrosive if that's a concern. Good grief you guys.
Do you know people who prefer corrosive caps?

Yes, but I naively believe the company when they say they're making and shipping millions of primers and caps daily. Just wonder where the heck they are.
I think it is believable simply because it’s hard to comprehend the size and scale of the United States economy.
Just think about it, there are over 4,600 Walmarts, not all of them sell caps but a lot do. Then the larger sporting goods retailers like Dunhams, Sheels, Academy’s, Cabalas/Bass Pros Sportsman’s Warehouse want to sell them to. Add on all the local shops that want to sell them to. How many stores sell percussion caps? 20,000? There are 100 caps in a tin so just to put one tin in each store is 2 million. How long will those last, maybe until 9 AM. If I could make 20 million I could send a case to each store. Maybe they will last all day, maybe two…. But then there are the internet sellers, how many can a Grafs, Mid-south, Powder Valley or Midway USA move in a day? Its mind blowing that you could dump a couple million caps on the market tomorrow and nobody would even notice, everyone will still be complaining that there aren’t any caps for sale.

I remember a lot of people bragging a year ago about how they had managed to order a case quantity of caps. It helped with their shipping costs but had the same effect as people buying carts full of toilet paper during the pandemic.
Every one person buying a case of tins took a dozen tins off the market. I won’t argue about their current production but many of us are now in the mode of get them while you can, myself included. I didn’t need more musket caps when I visited DGW in Union City yet I bought them when they had no #10 caps at all and that triggered my “grab some extras” response. I think we have changed our buying habits when we can no longer count on picking up a tin of 100 at the gun shop. It is reflexive for me, to be sure I don’t run out.
What you contend is true. But both times I bought caps off the shelves last year, I left at leas a couple packs for others. I guess my guilt got the best of me and personally, I still feel that’s the proper thing to do.

Everyone literally needs to email them and flood their system, demanding production increase for #10 & #11 caps.
Sounds good, but in reality how many people is "everyone" ? Traditional muzzleloader shooters and hunter are small group and getting smaller by the day. If they never sold another cap it wouldn't affect their bottom line one bit. That's the the sad reality of it.

He said "primers and caps" so he wasn't being specific about how many of each. Might be 999,000 primers and 1,000 caps and he's still telling you the truth. That's how it goes when they really don't want to answer the question.
I'd venture to say the responder really doesn't know the answer and is too lazy to go find it.

Sounds good, but in reality how many people is "everyone" ? Traditional muzzleloader shooters and hunter are small group and getting smaller by the day. If they never sold another cap it wouldn't affect their bottom line one bit. That's the the sad reality of it.
See it's that kind of laziness in thinking, that causes companies to screw our group out of items we need. You don't speak up, don't cry when it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back