• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cataract Surgury and Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exciting news for me- I will be having my first (of two) cataract surgeries later this week, with the second scheduled a couple weeks afterwards.
I am assuming my long gun shooting will be put on hold for a while, but that by mid to late October I can start again. I will be asking the surgeon of course.
I will need to ask him if pistol shooting can be an option in the nearer future? That might be an option I can certainly live with 😊
Looking forward to clear vision, nonetheless🥳
I sure hope you have better results than I did.

Exciting news for me- I will be having my first (of two) cataract surgeries later this week, with the second scheduled a couple weeks afterwards.
I am assuming my long gun shooting will be put on hold for a while, but that by mid to late October I can start again. I will be asking the surgeon of course.
I will need to ask him if pistol shooting can be an option in the nearer future? That might be an option I can certainly live with 😊
I had mine done about 6 years ago and am very happy. I can shoot fine. Best of luck!

I too have cataract surgery scheduled for this week With the other eye in two. Looking forward to getting rid of the haze.

I too have cataract surgery scheduled for this week With the other eye in two. Looking forward to getting rid of the haze.
No doubt. Its that haze that makes vision difficult. Its worse at night or in bright-light conditions. I sometimes wonder if health/vision insurance companies are waiting for some of us to get into an accident before they will pay for cataract surgery.

Had mine done a couple of years ago. Eyes were done two weeks apart. 20/20 in both eyes. Surgery was on a Friday and I was shooting trap on the following Wednesday. I can shoot long guns with out any type of prescription glasses. I use pistol shooting readers for the handguns.

Go for it, I had mine done mid last year and never regretted it.
a. Your Eyes will be almost as they were when you were in your 20s-30s.
b. You will be more light sensitive than before, but they do adjust with some time.
c. You may need glasses for reading.
d. Eye irrigation with special Eye drops 4 times a day, or your eyes will get sore, Eye ointment before sleep or a long drive is very helpful. Caveat : Allow your vison to clear after applying the ointment for a couple of minutes.
e. Your sighting and shooting improvement will delight you !

All the best, enjoy the dramatic change.

I had the surgery done at the beginning of the pandemic. One eye in December and the other in January. It went really well too. I got the monofocal lenses for distance seeing. The difference is like night and day. Now it did take about a year for my eyes to really settle down after the surgery. Do use patience as it might take time before your vision settles down. I use reading glasses of various magnification for things up close.

As for shooting it has improved as the rear sight on most of my rifles is forward enough to not be blurry. With handguns the rear sight is a little blurry though. I found that if the rear sight is within my arm/hand reach it is blurry. But if beyond that no problem. If I use 1.00 magnification reading glasses then no problem. But technically the rear sight being a bit blurry hasn’t really been a problem. It just affects precision accuracy for shooting with the handguns. I can still put everything in the black anyway.

Last edited:
Had it done and should have had it sooner
night and day difference

such a BIG , shocking difference

Both eyes now
only need glasses for the fine print

Good luck.👍

I have had 2 cataract ops and three corneal transplants, and I commenced fire as soon as the bandages were off. You will do fine, and shoot better. As always, wear safety glasses, some things they can’t fix…

Best thing ever. Been a while now and sights are still good but I need cheaters for close work and reading. I can read outside ok. I opted to pay for the laser method.
The only thing to bother you is the clamp to hold yor eye open. I accused the eye doc for borrowing them from the doc that does colonoscapies. Got a good laugh.

I had the rapid onset type cataracts in my mid 40's. They kept asking if I was a welder or (being former LEO) if I dealt with flashbangs... Anyway you're essentially getting fixed focus eyeballs. I would suggest a trip to Wally World. Grab a bunch of the cheapest readers they got in various diopter powers. As you heal up and things settle down you can figure out which "power" works best in each situation - reading, close work, handgun, long gun, longer gun. I focus my scope eyepieces for no correction. Then you can find/order better quality glasses, safety and shooting eyewear that'll satisfy your needs and your "style".

The doctor who did both of my eyes I give high fives too. He goes to Africa each year and performs Cataract surgery on those misfortunate ones who are blind because of their cataracts. I think we all can agree that sight from blindness is special. You are about to be partake in a procedure that will take not more then twenty minutes. You shall be more then satisfied. You will heal fast, resulting in better shooting. Modern meds are truly wonderful.

Back