• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The .62 rifle took a 2022 deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This week is early muzzleloader season here in Pennsylvania. We can take antlerless deer and black bear. It’s probably my favorite season for a slew of reasons: Beautiful Fall weather (usually), leaves turning color, game animals not yet on high alert and pretty easy to stalk or call in, the smell of wood smoke, etc Mid October is a perfect time to be afield.
So late today I took the rifle of my dreams for a short walk. Probably three minutes into the walk and I saw several deer feeding in a field corner. So I stopped dead and held still until they seemed to stop looking in my direction. Shuffling a few slow steps right and a few slooow steps forward put me up against the messy field margin and looking through the vegetation at the deer. The only one that offered a shot had seen me but wasn’t too concerned. After a couple minutes of standing still, and slowly glassing to ensure it was a doe and not a button buck, it was clear I could slowly shuffle two short steps left and have an unobstructed 75 yard shot through the last bits of field edge vegetation. A pretty good cover to stalk from. So I raised the rifle, pointed it at the deer, and took my slow shuffle steps. Aimed carefully at the base of its neck, and…click. No bang.
Pulled the hammer back, aimed carefully again, this time at the neck of a curious deer looking my way, and KaPow.
It went down in a heap.
The other deer took a long time to clear out, and I waited because I didn’t want to spook them. Eventually they went inside the field edge and i walked up to my… tiny button buck.
My eyesight had told me it was an 18 month old doe, probably 80 pounds and perfect for harvest. As wrong as that was, because he probably weighed fifty pounds soaking wet, at least my lyin’ eyes didn’t miss the shot.
Easiest, shortest drag back to the truck in PA hunting history.

Attachments

• 66727423-8CD1-4348-A732-B50E4A80FC54.jpeg
    66727423-8CD1-4348-A732-B50E4A80FC54.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 540BC970-E998-4C30-88DB-FB3AC25EA89D.jpeg
    540BC970-E998-4C30-88DB-FB3AC25EA89D.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • E850F770-37E4-4F1E-9C60-845DDDF828EC.jpeg
    E850F770-37E4-4F1E-9C60-845DDDF828EC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Always wanted to try a 62. Any load details?
Yes, more than I would have expected. It might seem silly to say, but it depends on how far you want to shoot. My style of shooting is instinctive out to about 100 yards with this gun, so the 0.605” 335 grain ball is pushed pretty hard by 125 grains of Swiss FFG sealed by a doubled layer of real linen mic’ing at 0.007” per layer, and liberally greased with bear grease. This load accurately shoots measuring stick flat out to 100 yards. If you were in brush or your shots are expected more in the 50-60 yard range, then you could use 100 grains of powder and avoid some of the punishment. The .62 is a hammer, without doubt. I like it

Last edited:
This week is early muzzleloader season here in Pennsylvania. We can take antlerless deer and black bear. It’s probably my favorite season for a slew of reasons: Beautiful Fall weather (usually), leaves turning color, game animals not yet on high alert and pretty easy to stalk or call in, the smell of wood smoke, etc Mid October is a perfect time to be afield.
So late today I took the rifle of my dreams for a short walk. Probably three minutes into the walk and I saw several deer feeding in a field corner. So I stopped dead and held still until they seemed to stop looking in my direction. Shuffling a few slow steps right and a few slooow steps forward put me up against the messy field margin and looking through the vegetation at the deer. The only one that offered a shot had seen me but wasn’t too concerned. After a couple minutes of standing still, and slowly glassing to ensure it was a doe and not a button buck, it was clear I could slowly shuffle two short steps left and have an unobstructed 75 yard shot through the last bits of field edge vegetation. A pretty good cover to stalk from. So I raised the rifle, pointed it at the deer, and took my slow shuffle steps. Aimed carefully at the base of its neck, and…click. No bang.
Pulled the hammer back, aimed carefully again, this time at the neck of a curious deer looking my way, and KaPow.
It went down in a heap.
The other deer took a long time to clear out, and I waited because I didn’t want to spook them. Eventually they went inside the field edge and i walked up to my… tiny button buck.
My eyesight had told me it was an 18 month old doe, probably 80 pounds and perfect for harvest. As wrong as that was, because he probably weighed fifty pounds soaking wet, at least my lyin’ eyes didn’t miss the shot.
Easiest, shortest drag back to the truck in PA hunting history.
Good job on the harvest. I have found it is best to never shoot a "lone" doe. Better to pick on for size comparison, instead. Then, shoot the largest one, even if you have to work to get a shot.

Good job on the harvest. I have found it is best to never shoot a "lone" doe. Better to pick on for size comparison, instead. Then, shoot the largest one, even if you have to work to get a shot.
I concur with you 100%. Of the several deer all feeding together in that field corner, this one looked the biggest. I figured it was the mama doe, and the others were young of the year. Despite using my Leupold binoculars to carefully assess this critter before shooting it, albeit from behind vegetation that apparently warped my visual assessment, it turned out to be a five or six month old button buck. We all try to avoid this situation, but I accept it as an unfortunate but occasionally inevitable mistake. You are totally correct about lone deer, especially the lone “doe” that looks especially large and mature. They are 90% of the time a button buck.

Exactly, as I have learned - much to my chagrin.
The irony of this kill is that despite being young, he was still a buck. Therefore I still have not completely removed his rut stink from my hands. His meat will be as tender as possible, but brother, he was starting to have that rutting stink already.

That was a great shot you made. That rifle sure looks good.
Thank you! Probably dumb luck hitting the neck like that, but I was actually aiming at its neck. A blind pig finds his target once in a while, to paraphrase a phrase. Mark Wheland gets all credit for the gun. He took a piece of flat sawn lumber and various gun parts and made a faithful copy of another gun. And it works perfectly. I sure couldn’t do it if I had ten lifetimes.
Colerain made the barrel exactly to my specifications. Very shallow and slow twist rifling that is incredibly accurate.

Back