• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Castrated squirrels??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a comment in the "tactics for squirrels" thread and it got me to thinking about the old story about older male squirrels castrating the younger males. Has anybody ever heard that? :hmm:

When I grew up in Pa., I remember seeing red squirrels chasing the grays. If they caught them they'd they would bite them between the legs. My dad told me they were castrating them.
For what it's worth...

yes, they do that. 'keeping the harem secure' I guess you'd say. eliminate the competition. I've never seen it but heard they will kill young males too.

i hunted a honey hole one year with bout 45 squirrels going home with me that year....all of them had there manhood still with no scars from there neigbors teeth :hmm: all from a patch of woods bout 4 acres in size :v ............bob

Yeah I find this hard to believe looking at all the squirrels runnin around here. Shot more than one male who definitely looked male. Even have one mounted here with a pair.

I've heard that one species (not fox, I think), gets into fights with grey squirrels, and is said to often bite the scrotum as the grey runs away, after which the wound gets infected, causing sterility. If true, I find it very hard to believe that it is a deliberate policy, but rather a result of biting the biggest target that doesn't have a lot of hair to protect it like the the tail does and isn't moving rapidly like the hind legs.

Most likely, it is something that was observed a couple of times, and a combination of anthropomorphism and a desire to tell a good story led to the "deliberate castration" theory.

If you are from Western PA, then maybe we are related.... My uncles told me the same thing about reds and grays. Never actually saw the "act" - but I saw plenty of red chasing the grays and I don't think it was for fun.

Nifeman said:
When I grew up in Pa., I remember seeing red squirrels chasing the grays. If they caught them they'd they would bite them between the legs. My dad told me they were castrating them.
For what it's worth...

I have heard the same story here in Upstate NY. Can't say it's true, but I was told it by an older hunter who I believe believed it. :hmm:

Also possible the adults nip the young. They do tend to be prolific in some areas and it might be a natural control . . . but seems it would be easier just to pierce their tiny skulls with them teeth and not have them sharing the food supply as eunichs.

Elnathan said:
Most likely, it is something that was observed a couple of times, and a combination of anthropomorphism and a desire to tell a good story led to the "deliberate castration" theory.

Yep, that's exactly what I think too. I've squirrel hunted for over 40 years and I've never seen any real evidence that it happens. Must be a popular story though if it's circulated at least from NC to PA.
Thanks everybody for the replies to a really weird question. :haha:

Old Wives Tale! Old wives are mean and ornery, and they like to make up stories like this........ :wink:
Never approach a Bull from the front, A Horse from the rear, and A Fool from any direction

I have been told that story also here in Michigan but I have never seen any squirrels that I have shot missing any parts. How did that story get started?? :wink: Rocky

fw707,
By my 50 some years experience in squirrel
hunting,I would say the story about castration
is:bull::bull:. I've harvested hundreds of
squirels,mostly fox and grey,and in all honesty,
I have never seen a male without his manhood.
I will tell you a true story that accured maybe
20 years ago.
I was hunting a small wooded area of maybe
10 acres and had harvested two fox squirrels.
Was sitting with my back to a tree in a good area.
About 10 or 10:30am got hungary.Opened up a can
of Vienna sausage and ate a few.Got some activity
in a tree about 20/25 yards in front of me.Set the can of sausage to my right and behind me.
Paying attention to the tree in front,gave no thought to the can.After maybe 10 minutes I
look up and see a fox squirrel directly above
me with a can of Vienna Sausage. Would not even think about shooting him....He was a better
hunter than I:surrender::surrender:.
snake-eyes :redface:

Snake Eyes is right and here's the proof. :blah: :blah: :blah: :rotf: :rotf:
NutsyeaIgotnuts.jpg

I have prob killed over a 1000 over the years and have never killed one that was....unless I pulled my shot.

Wess

My granddaddy told me that when I was a kid in Alabama. He said that Mommma squirrel does it in drought or hard times. Amazing how far rumors travel down the Eastern coast thru the years. Did our forefathers tell this around the campfire? We can't let it die with us, tell your Kids and Grandkids..:rotf: ..PeashooterJoe

Latest posts

Back