• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp stools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, I'm sure, while at ronny you go out and kill a fat young buff for fresh meat every day just to be pc.
This comment was taken with a truck-load of salt, knowing your long-standing and vocal dislike of anything PC or HC.

Don't need to - I have fresh venison instead. No wild bison where we are....

But even at Rendezvous, I make the effort to be PC/HC - which far exceeds the effort put forth by 99.9% of the rest there. Another reason why I camp with like-minded friends away from the the chrome-tan-clad, furry-animal-hat circus.

Last edited:
...and they keep moving the ground further away each year.
And harder to. I turned 51 in 2008 and that’s when that harder ground became noticeable.... so I blame Obama , but I’ve not noticed it getting softer since Trump came in, so it might have been Palosi all along.
(Sarcasm alert)

I turned 51 in 2008 and that’s when that harder ground became noticeable.... so I blame Obama
(Sarcasm alert)

Sarcasm noted.

Obama's first term started January 2009. Since you say you noticed the ground became harder the year before, shouldn't you be blaming Bush who was actually in office that year, instead?

Blame Obama for stuff that happened during his term, but not before he was in office.

I noticed it in dec of 2008 just weeks after his election. :)
Somehow even the ground started getting harder. I have it on good authority that orcs stated comming down our of the moutians that same year;)
When it comes to blaming political figures no logic or even coherent argument is required,

Orcs? Something came out of the sky, not the mountains.

John Carpenter's "They Live" nails politicians of all stripes and shades for who and what they really are.

not period....
re: my cricket chair.
This popped up while I was googling colonial Williamsburg. It is reported by them to be a room in colonial home. Note the chair to the right and it's resemblance to a 'cricket' chair. The other items (lamp, sofa) sure do not look 'colonial' to me but this is what they said it is.
cs-valentin-bellport-jonathan-hokklo-alexa-hotz-2-1466x977.jpg

This popped up while I was googling colonial Williamsburg. It is reported by them to be a room in colonial home. Note the chair to the right and it's resemblance to a 'cricket' chair.
A water-buffalo resembles an Angus steer and a model of the Eiffel tower resembles the actual tower - they still aren't the same thing.

Orcs? Something came out of the sky, not the mountains.

Five number twos on the Billboard Chart, and a couple'f number threes and fours, but they kept being blocked by poor timing. It's believed that one year they sold more albums than the Beatles before they broke up, but the way record companies play games with the numbers, it's hard to verify.

This comment was taken with a truck-load of salt, knowing your long-standing and vocal dislike of anything PC or HC.

Don't need to - I have fresh venison instead. No wild bison where we are....

But even at Rendezvous, I make the effort to be PC/HC - which far exceeds the effort put forth by 99.9% of the rest there. Another reason why I camp with like-minded friends away from the the chrome-tan-clad, furry-animal-hat circus.
None of us can be 100% no matter how hard we try. At some point something will break down. We all draw lines based on some arbitrary personal standards that says ‘this isn’t right but I can live with it.
When I started this the ability to research ‘right’ was limited. Most of us had access to just a few books via catalogs from mail order companies, and local libraries. We depended pretty heavy on magazines like The Black Powder Report and Museum of the Fur Trade Qurterly.
We looked pretty cheesy in the seventies and eighties but we were trying hard. We might pass the jug a bit at the fire, but much of the conversation was ‘what they did back then’.
I met Rifleman1776 about 1983. His outfit was about the best any one knew could be put together for an ARW Rifleman. He looked like he stepped out of a diorama at the Smithsonian.
Today good, and unfortunately not so good info, is just a click away. It is so easy to put together an outfit much closer to the reality today then then.
We should never think that one person has disdain for HC/PC because he didn’t come as close as our own personal excuse line.
When you put on your kit and step softly on to the trail and celebrate your own HCness, don’t forget It was Rifleman 1776, Pat Turney, Currly G, ol Pappy and countless other that blazed that trail.

The slide apart folding chair goes back centuries,

african-stargazer-chairs-1.jpg

The back "leg" is a tongue that slides through a slot in the front legs/back support.
It isn't a matter of whether a certain thing existed, rather a question of whether it existed in a specific place, at a specific time for a specific person or persons. Existence alone is insufficient to make a case for its use. If not, it would be OK to use medieval armor or an Egyptian chariot at an F&I event based solely on the basis of existence....

This popped up while I was googling colonial Williamsburg. It is reported by them to be a room in colonial home. Note the chair to the right and it's resemblance to a 'cricket' chair. The other items (lamp, sofa) sure do not look 'colonial' to me but this is what they said it is.
cs-valentin-bellport-jonathan-hokklo-alexa-hotz-2-1466x977.jpg
A room in a colonial-age house doesn't imply they decorated the room with colonial-age furniture....
Who are "they"? I hear "they" have all the answers or "they" saw the ramrod break and stab someone in the eye, but no one ever says who "they" are. I suspect (strongly) "they" misspoke or you misunderstood about the furnishings.

It isn't a matter of whether a certain thing existed, rather a question of whether it existed in a specific place, at a specific time for a specific person or persons. Existence alone is insufficient to make a case for its use. If not, it would be OK to use medieval armor or an Egyptian chariot at an F&I event based solely on the basis of existence....
Egyptian chariots weren't in constant use. We know why armor mostly died away (arquebuses, wheel locks, flint locks). With the chairs, I think it more likely that there aren't existing samples of cheap furniture than the knowledge was lost for a hundred and fifty years. Especially since there's evidence they were used in Africa at the time, and, well, you know.

Egyptian chariots weren't in constant use. We know why armor mostly died away (arquebuses, wheel locks, flint locks). With the chairs, I think it more likely that there aren't existing samples of cheap furniture than the knowledge was lost for a hundred and fifty years. Especially since there's evidence they were used in Africa at the time, and, well, you know.
Yes - but we have multiple and numerous examples of the types of chairs used in the colonies. Too many want these 2-piece chairs to be period when ladder-back chairs were used and available - I hardly ever/never see someone bring a ladder-back chair even though the excuse is "I need something with a back".

The value of the item is somewhat irrelevant to the discussion, though could be considered as/since cheap items were likely more numerous than expensive, widely used and more examples could have survived. As to the use of an item in Africa - the use of a particular item in one part of the world in no way translates into universal use. There was trade, but not on the global scale we see today and something used there could be unknown here. Unless one can show the item was available and used here (from trade lists, estate lists, existing examples, other) there is no reason to use it or even think it was used.

The general design dates back at least to the Romans.
While these chairs are not hc they do make a cheap easily packed camp chair.
I don’t have one, don’t intend to buy one, would not take one to an event, did have some at one time many years ago.
So a decision not to own one my self does not mean I get my breach clout in a wad if I see one at an event. I try to worry more about the beam in my eye then the mote in anothers.
A 70% historic camp is better then an empty camp space.

A historic camp -was- very sparse if what thins were carried in on foot, or perhaps what a horse or mule could carry. Nomads who are almost constantly on the move, are not known to carry that much from one camp site to another. Constant movement tends to strip materialism down to the essentials. What people on this forum think is "essential" may not be as essential as you think and depends on here/now circumstances.

I've never bothered carrying a chair, stool, or even boxes around to use in camp. An upright tree trunk and a relatively "smooth" patch at the base does it for me. I've seldom had to tell someone to get up and move from "my spot", or so that something could be fetched out of a box, etc.

Straecat,
Military officers were ones who traveled with wagons full of personal furniture & supplies while families moving from one place to another might have all their worldly possessions with them on a wagon and/or horses. Based on the latter, what may have been seen in civilian camps would be what people had in their houses (which would include the chairs they had at home). To say much more would be to invent a fantasy narrative...

Last edited:
Back