• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp stools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
I put together a folding stool yesterday from parts I cut a few days ago. I will be painting the wood with red barn paint (i.e. Spanish Brown), affixing the pivot pins (1/2" wood dowel) and adding a canvas seat. Square through mortise & tenons, glued and wedged (notice wedges go across and not with the grain of the rail). Finish nails & glue to hold the cross-pieces, though the nail heads were reshaped to look like cut nails. The pivot pins are not glued in, but fit snugly in the hole and are kept from rotating by another nail through the outside leg & pin (1/16" hole and the nail is removeable).
Legs - 1" x 22"
Top pieces - 1 1/8" x 1 1/16" x 14"
Cross pieces - 2" x 3/4" x length between legs (set into legs)
Pins - 1/2" diameter carved from a scrap piece of wood

All told, I probably have a couple hours of work in the stool so far. Maybe another hour to paint and add the canvas seat. Made entirely from scrap wood - the bottom stretcher was made 2" to fill the space from removing knots on the edge of 2 legs.

The canvas will wrap over the edges of the upper rails and get tacked to the sides.

Fir 2 x 4" ripped and planed, left-over piece from some other project. The cross-piece at the bottom was a scrap piece of 3/4" x 3" cut to width.

There is a leather washer between the legs where the pins go through - keeps the legs from rubbing against each other and wearing the paint. A fortunate accident in this case, since there was an 3/16" gap between the legs after assembly that needed filling. Nothing quite like screwing up in the right direction...

Excellent, I've been debating on fur or oak... I have plenty of both but likely will use fur as the oak is reserved for special projects being it was milled from my grandfather's forest.

Beautifully done, no arguing the authenticity of that wonderful little item!

Colorado Clyde said:
What else you got?.....A bed?
In the planning stages.
Unfortunately, with a large wedge tent, a bed has its unique space challenges - if wide enough, there is insufficient space to get out the sides unless the bed is very low. At that point, may as well continue sleeping on the ground...

On the other hand, I do make trunks/boxes to carry my stuff. Nothing ruins the visual so much as a plastic tote or cooler (these trunks can be insulated and serve as coolers).

Very nice. How'd you make the mortise so clean?
I have one like that I bought,, that's not as pc,, it uses steel tubing for upper cross members and hinge.
It's very comfortable and convenient to use.

Very nice. How'd you make the mortise so clean?
I have one like that I bought,, that's not as pc,, it uses steel tubing for upper cross members and hinge.
It's very comfortable and convenient to use.
I removed most of the wood with a Forstner bit of the desired diameter then squared the corners with a chisel. I paid special attention to the side where the mortise would be visible also knowing a little slop would disappear when the wedge was driven into place. The tenons were also left a little long so they could be trimmed flush once glued and wedged.

Nice job. Something to sit on can be important, especially as one ages. I made myself a slide-together 'cricket' type chair. Arguably not pc but my back ain't pc either anymore and needs rest. BTW, images of stools much like yours can be found dating back to early Roman and Egyptian times. PC fer sure.

Having trouble visualizing what that looks like.
campchair.png

Comfortable but not period....
I have one, but it doesn't go to events with me.

Last edited:
That's the style I have, very comfortable. Never heart them referred to as "cricket style" before.

Latest posts

Back