• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp Cooking-looking for ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
while everyone has some great ideas, I have a few very not PC, but i usually take tuna for tuna sandwiches, hot dogs, chips, (if you can't tell, we have kids in our camp), chow mein in a can is very simple, hamburger hepler, breakfast pork chops that are thin to cook fast, pancakes and waffles!!!corn on the cob with steak or another meat makes for a rather PC meal, i think! i found a good recipe in[url] bigtimbermazawaukins.org[/url] it is called rondy beans. You can be creative. we really try to go for what is easy because we run lots of events. We are very busy. Busy people eat quick and easy food. Good luck expanding your diet! :m2c:

Last edited by a moderator:
RHW,
you put the book together and i would be the first
in line to buy it. always wanted a book of any kind
signed by a "Wench" :crackup: :crackup:
snake-eyes :thumbsup: :) :peace: :)

Well since most of you folks do not appear to live on the coast my recipies for hot boiled crab and Ice cold beer or oyster stew or even clam chowder will not be of much use to you. But if you want to know just leave a little note and I shall be more than willing comply. :redthumb: Indian grilled salmon is always a fish camp favorite, steamer clams and raw extra small oysters....oh my.

Bullwnkl.

Bullwnkl,
now you went and made me hungary. Would like to see that Indian grilled salmon recipe :hmm: :hmm:I love
salmon in just about any form!
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

Snake-eyes, The way the local indians have developed salmon cooking is unique to this area. The Puget Sound Indians historically are known as a ceder culture, they utilized the ceder tree for raw materials to make clothing, build boats houses even cooking utinsels. So this is one way the local tribes cooked salmon: Good hot fire in fire pit large rocks surrounding pit to act as reflectors, basketball sized. Salmon is secures to a ceder plank, Fillit of salmon. flesh side out skin side to board. I tie mine on to plank with cotton string. Season flesh with your favorite seasoning, I like just fresh ground black pepper. make sure your plank has either a tail that can be placed between a couple rocks or make a rack to hold the planks up right or do as I do , not the indian way but better in my opinion. plant two "Y" shaped poles near fire with a stick lashed betwen the two set the samlon laden plank up against the cross bar about 6-8 inches from the fire. salmon will cook fast turn end for end once soall flesh is cooked evenly. The salmon will be done when slightly flakey. serve on hot plank.....good eats. :imo:

whats for dinner?
ash cakes and water boys.
one handfull of flower,
mix with water till dowey.
cook on hot rock, salt and peper to taste
ashes optional,

:p
my favorite cookbook is fanny farmers, compiled at the boston school of somthing or nuther,
I think theres reprints available somewhere
BB :m2c:

Bullwnkl

We smoke alot of slmon but dog gone it if that don't sound like something I would like to do. Can you describe the flavor? Any outdoorsiness to it from the cedar and the fire? I am not that fond of salmon but I like it smoked and this may be another variation I might enjoy.

How about a side-dish? Tried this one tonight and it's a winner. Makes enough to feed 8 hungry folks. No name yet- got the original recipe from Alton Brown, "Good Eats" on Food Network.

1 Large head green cabbage
2 Medium red onions
3 Small white (dry) onions
2 Large Granny Smith Apples
3/4 Stick Butter
2 Lemons (for lemon juice)
Olive Oil, Salt, splash of vinegar

Core and slice the cabbage into thick strips, like very coarse cole slaw.
Slice onions and apples into 1/4" wide strips and saute in olive oil. Add salt to taste and a splash of vinegar, about 2 tsps. Remove when apples are tender but not soft.
Steam the cabbage until it's soft but crispy.
Completely Drain the cabbage.
In a large skillet, melt butter and add 2tb Olive oil.
Add cabbage to the skillet and saute for 1 minute, add salt to taste.
Add onion/apple mix and toss until mixed.
Add juice of 2 lemons to the cabbage.
Remove from heat and let rest for 15-20 minutes.

Serve warm.

Served this with a basic boiled brisket (garlic, onion, carrot, celery & water to cover) slow cooked 1hr per pound.

Yummy goodness, and has a side effect of keeping you warm on those cold nights. :crackup:

vic

Smoked, the flavor is a lot like bbq. the skin keeps the ceder flavor from getting to the fish. I like to do trout in a similar fashon except I just butterfly the trout and spread it out on a plank. The plank gets a little oily and is best burned when done being used or wrapped in an airtight foil. Especially in the summer when the flies are about or other unwanted vermin.

Bullwnkl.

A "fun" food item is donuts roasted over the campfire to carmelize the icing. It is wise to let it cool a bit before eating -- burned tongues are not fun :(

For a twist, try chocolate donuts too :)

StrongWoman

Vic,
i have tried a dish similar to yours and i think
it was called chow-chow. have not used it in camp
but have done it at home and it was very good!!!!
i can only imagine it would be better cooked outside!!
are you getting these wench???
snake-eyes :hmm: :peace: :thumbsup:

Dang, Bullwnkl..........that sounds mighty tasty for this land locked Central Plainsman! Will definately try it!

Here's something simple and easy.........and the last couple of times I cooked them they were a big hit around the campfire. A local restaurant called them "Angels on Horseback". Take large, peeled shrimp, season with your favorite rub (mine is Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic) and wrap each with a slice or piece of bacon. Grill over the campfire--being sure you have a grate fine enough to prevent the shrimp from falling into the coals! Cooking will not take long....usually until the bacon is cooked but not crispy. The shrimp will also be white when done. Do not overcook!

These make great appetizers of with several, a fair meal. Very flavorful and very easy!

TexiKan
-------------
If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

OK, Snake-eyes, I am going to attempt to compile a booklet, or perhaps a full scale book of all the great recipes and ideas here! IF I manage to get it into print, will I have any takers? There's been some fantastic ideas, and I will be watching for more! :RO: :redthumb: ::

PS. Any ideas for artwork on the cover?

I agree with the Aussie.That is a very "appetizing" picture ::
And the cook book sounds good too...

Any ideas for artwork on the cover?

How 'bout your avatar! :crackup:

:thumbsup:

Lehigh County, propa longarms.

:blah:
OK, Lehigh, the avatar IS a good idea of a cover artwork, but was thinking more along the lines of an actual wench either near or over a fire!, Hmmmm, any ideas? And yes, I do have a pic of myself (someplace) getting a fire going in camp one morning!

the avatar IS a good idea of a cover artwork, but was thinking more along the lines of an actual wench either near or over a fire!, Hmmmm, any ideas? And yes, I do have a pic of myself (someplace) getting a fire going in camp one morning!

RHW,

What you are suggesting is probably the most obvious choice, plus, you are putting the book together so why shouldn't your pic be on the cover!

Then again you could just have some pics of your fine meals on the cover, with your face in the middle of them, or similar.

Of course there are other wenches on this forum; look for the KNOW YOUR MODERATOR thread, you'll get the picture! :crackup:

You could also have a section for ROAD KILL, AND HOW BEST TO COOK IT:

uglyhat.jpg
:crackup:

:thumbsup:
Lehigh County, propa longarms.

:blah:

RHW,
would sure like to see that picture posted!!!
most guys have a wench fantacy. mine just does not have
red hair :crackup:
good luck on the cook book!
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back