• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp Cooking-looking for ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhairedwench

36 Cal.
Reaction score
OK all you good folks who have eaten at many a fire. I am seriously searching for NEW ideas for food over the fire, nothing fancy, but stuff that just about anyone would eat! Please, no more chili or stew, I am tired of hearing that!

Let me know, and give me some input here or my e-mail, either way would be great!

Keep the fire low but hot! :redthumb:

RHW,

Excuse my dumbness, but do you mean like PC food, or any type of food? :hmm:

When we went to rendys we would take pasta, and a pre made sauce for it, also meat which we would BBQ, a stew, pumpkin soup.

Lehigh County, where propa gunnes are made!

:redthumb:

I got some great recipes for stirfry and orange chicken, and stuff like that, but "redhairedwench" don't sound like it'll pass for a chinese camp cook :)

What kind of recipes are you looking for and how many to serve? I don't do much PC cooking, so I'm pretty helpless there except for boiled beast in a pot or charred beast, although I could check my cookbooks for some PC eatin that isn't stew or chili. I usually cook for 6 to 15 "HEALTHY" sized folks so let me know if I have to chop the recipe down some.

vic,
thinking that this might make an interesting cookbook for the TMA... hmmmmmmmmmmm any of youse guys listening????

thinking that this might make an interesting cookbook for the TMA...

That's the makins of a good ideer.

Regards, sse

"...food over the fire, nothing fancy, but stuff that just about anyone would eat!

1 pound dry pinto beans
6 pound beef rump roast
1 tablespoon lard or shortening
1 cup banana peppers or green pepper strips(I prefer banana peppers)
Two sliced medium onions
2 cups tomato juice
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon each dry mustard and thyme

Wash beans, cover with cold water and let soak overnight or bring to a boil for two minutes and let stand one hour, drain discarding water. Brown roast in hot fat in a large dutch oven. Add peppers and onions and cook until tender. Add beans and remaining ingredients. Cover and bake in moderate dutch oven for 2-3 hours or until beans are tender and meat is done

:thumbsup:

B. Ford

Leg-o-Lamb

Marinate in olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, skewer and cook over the open fire. It's a delight to see cooking and a treat to eat. Turn about every 15 minutes. Same idea with any large hunk of meat. At rendezvous, this will go over quite well with camp neighbors and the public loves to see it.

Leg-o-Lamb

Marinate in olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, skewer and cook over the open fire. It's a delight to see cooking and a treat to eat. Turn about every 15 minutes. Same idea with any large hunk of meat. At rendezvous, this will go over quite well with camp neighbors and the public loves to see it.

Great idea.

Nothing impresses the "visitors" like a whole rabbit on the spit over a bed of coals. I heard a little girl as her mom if we were cooking a cat! :crackup:

Aint no cat on that thern spit, thems too tough, hard on the teeth. Thats therin is ol Fido. Been fatin him up fer a month now. MMMM, tender. :crackup: :crackup:

Alright, you said nothing fancy.....1st you walk around camp and borrow the biggest dutch oven or pail you can find.
Then you throw in the biggest deer ham you brought with ya' and cover it with water. Next you set it over the fire and bring it to a simmering boil. Put a lid on and go about your business, checking every so often in case you need to add a bit of water. After a couple hours when the meat is all tender and pulls apart easy take it off the fire and dump out the water. Shred the meat with a couple forks right in the same pot. Dump in your favorite homemade or store bought barbeque sauce, mix it all up and ring the come and eat gong. It always disappears around here in no time. Not at all fancy and not exactly a stew or a chili......only one pot to clean up too.

A cookbook for camp?? Now why didn't SOMEONE think about that before now?. Thanks for all the good ideas, and keep them coming.. a good, inventive cookbook is something to consider, and might even help raise some funds. :redthumb:

This recipe is not by any means period correct, but it is good, can make alot and is easy to make especially when you have been out shootin all day.

brown a lb of grown beef
add can of cream of mushroom soup
a can of beef broth (if you wanted you could use bullion and water)
cup water
3 cup pasta I usually use the corkscrew ones,
cook till noodles are done and add:
1/2 cup sour cream.

now if you have more then say 4 or so you can start addin a bit more here and there. Have a salad with some of the greens you foraged or brought and a big ole crusty slice of french bread and this is a top rate quick dinner, weather at home or at camp.

nother thing I like to make is a chicken enchilada casserole,

corn tortillas torn up a bit
several cups of cooked chicken cut or shredded up
cheese a few cups
sour cream
a can of green enchilada sauce

put just a bit of the green sauce one the bottom of your ole dutch, then cover with tortillas, a layer of chicken, a layer of cheese, (mix the rest of your green enchilada sauce and sour cream together till its kind of a light creamy looking green:>) a layer of green sauce/sour cream mix. layer until you have what you want or what you have and then top with tortillas, sauces and cheese, bake until bubbly.

These are just kinda base recipes and depending on what I have I add to them lol....

Nothing impresses the "visitors" like a whole rabbit on the spit over a bed of coals. I heard a little girl as her mom if we were cooking a cat!

:crackup: :crackup: Of course the correct answer would be, "Why no sweetheart, it's the Easter bunny!" :crackup: :crackup:

A cookbook for camp?? Now why didn't SOMEONE think about that before now?. Thanks for all the good ideas, and keep them coming.. a good, inventive cookbook is something to consider, and might even help raise some funds. :redthumb:

:what: You don't have one!!!????? :what:

I love cookbooks! Most of'em read better than the novels that are being hacked out today. I go through and mark the ones I find intresting then go back through and double mark the ones that sound REALLY intresting and the third and consecutive trips are the ones that I decide I'm going to try today. Then I try it out in the kitchen with my cast iron to evaluate the recipie and to see how difficult it would be to convert to coals, is it made with stuff that I can take along without having to carry a lot of extra equipment, ingredients, or extra preperation. If it passes the kitchen test it gets moved to the carport for trial on the charcoal stove,grill or smoker. Only the treats that pass both tests gets put in "The Book", an older bound composition notebook. Each recipie that makes it into the book has an extra page adjacent for notes on tempreatures, changes, additions or deletions I have or would like to try and what other dishes that might complement it. For example, the roast above can be made with any large tough chunk of meat you might have available, I would almost guarentee that they will be the best baked beans you'll have ever eaten. This pot goes really well with onion fried potatoes and Wild Onion Bread. If you have three ovens, Stir Crazy Cake will finish this meal that would do well on anybody's dinner table. The only things needed to turn this into a banquet is a pot of strong coffee, a touch of good Kentucky whiskey and a pipe.
:m2c:

B. Ford

Found this one just this morning on rec.woodworking. Sounds pretty good, and can be adjusted for PC cooking easily enough...

The following is one of my alternate London Broil cooking methods.

Cut the meat in 3/8" slabs, then cut the slabs into 3/8"x3/8"x1-1/2" pieces.

Prepared a marinade as follows:

1 Cup, Olive Oil
1 Cup, 2 Buck Chuck, Red Wine
1 Cup, Soy Sauce.

Marinate the meat overnight minimum, 2 days are better, then cook as follows:

Using a cast iron Dutch oven with 1/4" hot olive oil in bottom, brown small batches of the meat, removing the browned meat to a bowl.

2 Large, Onions, cleaned and sliced, then held for further use.

When meat has all been browned, add onions and saute.

2 Cans, sliced mushrooms.

Add mushrooms to pot when onions are clear, for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Return meat to pot and stir, then add remaining marinate, stir, then cover and steam for about 5 minutes.

Turn off heat and let rest for about 5 more minutes.

To Serve:

Spoon mixture over open faced Hoagy bun including some gravy from the pot, then cover with shredded mozarella cheese.

Nuke sandwich in microwave for about 30 seconds or until cheese is melted.

Screw the carbs and whatever else the diet gurus wring their hands about.

ENJOY.

The "2 Buck Chuck, Red Wine" is any cheap screw-cap wine. Personally, I'd opt for a better and richer merlot, but I was taught that if it ain't good enough for drinkin, it ain't good enough for cookin.

I'd change a couple of things, cut the olive oil & soy by 1/2, use fresh mushrooms (morels if ya got em), and serve over rice or pasta instead of hoagy buns. For PC maybe substitute red wine vinegar for the soy? Add salt to taste.

vic

Good evening! Thought I'd share a few ideas with you for campfire cooking.

One idea that is very easy is to cook corn on the cob over the coals. Peeling back the husk (but leave it attached), remove the silks. Cover the corn with the husk. Some folks soak the corn in cold water first, some don't. Then you put the corn either directly on your coals or on top of your grate over the coals. Turn often. Cook till done. Sometimes part of the husks burn and a bit of corn may burn too, but that is ok. Very tasty! If you have leftovers, cut off the cob and store to cook with breakfast.

Another idea for you is to bake Monkey Bread in the dutch oven. This is a great way to involve younger children in the cooking process. Preheat your buttered dutch oven. I like to use the wheat canned biscuits. Cut in quarters with scissors. Roll in melted butter then roll in your cinnamon/spice/sugar mixture. (I like to use brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, and a hint of nutmeg.) Plop in your dutch oven. Bake. This is great for breakfast or a snack anytime of day or evening!

Enjoy,
StrongWoman

Howdy,
Quick and easy PC meal.
Flour, salt and pepper some 1" cubes of deer or beef and brown in a dutch oven in some oil (we use olive oil) and then remove the meat and set aside. NOTE: Do not overcook the meat as it will be returned to the pot. In the drippings wilt down some apple and onion wedges until they are heated thru but not mushy. Add the meat back in and heat thru. Serve!!
This will make your tongue slap your brains silly!!

Butler, I seriously never put together a book of my favorites. And believe me, after over 20 years in the hobby, I've done a LOT of camp cooking!! If yo've got anything interesting, please, feel free to e-mail me, I wold love to be able to compile a good reference, regardless of authenticity or not! I just want to be able to eat well in my own camp! If I'm going to be a "stickler" for correctness, I guess I wold try my hand at stone soup. I'm sure you've heard of that one, where you start with a good sized kettle, a clean stone and roam the camp for donations to the pot! Sometimes that can make for an interesting dish in the end! ::

Here is our Boy Scout troop's version of stone soup. It works great on winter hikes. Everyone brings a can of their favorite soup and twice as much water as needed to reconstitute it. You make them drink half their water so nobody gets dehydrated. We only bring one large pot. All the soup goes into one pot --chicken, beef, veggies, clam chowder, cheese, whatever. I know it doesn't seem too appetizing, but it really is quite good (they make me leave my clam chowder at home now, though). Of course this is not pc, but you can take it from here.

One of my favs is to butterfly a pork loin and rub it down with nutmeg, red pepper, and salt and roll it back up and let it sit in the fridge for 2 days then slow grill it(unrolled) over a slightly smoky fire until done. As a side dish I chop up a small amount of bacon, saute this in a dutch oven until well browned, add some thinly sliced apples and cook until they begin to soften, then add a couple of tablespoons of cider vinegar and shredded cabbage, season lightly with black pepper and cook until the cabbage is done. Spaetzle or roasted sweet potatoes go real good with this as the fill your belly component.

For a one pot stew with a twist I brown boneless chicken thighs in the dutch oven, add chopped leeks, salt and pepper and cook until most of the liquid has cooked out. Added a mix of half beer and either chicken stock or water and cook until the chicken falls apart. I got my hands on some saffron last year and I add a bit of that about five minutes before it is done. You can add any kind of noodle or starch(potatoes,turnips) to this and it does a good job of filling the belly while tasting good and only requires the one pot.

My project for this summer is to make creme brulee in camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back