• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp coffee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using a French press for a while, and it also broke. I had been warming water for the press in an old stainless coffee pot with the percolator guts removed. I just started making camp coffee in it, and have been doing it now for the last couple months. My coffee now is every bit as good as that made in the press. I don't see any reason to replace the press. I think using one for a while improved my camp coffee making skills, though.

The press was simply a time saving device..., well a simpler, more sure way of filtering out grounds. Otherwise, you are quite right, steeping grounds in the hot water in the pot, then performing one of several techniques to settle the grounds...., the results are very like a press...or the press is very like the pot depending on one's perspective.

LD

Dragonsfire said:
I roast coffee regularly, wo batches today, the home made stuff is way better then the store stuff, buycoffeecanada.com

Z8mNDnw.jpg

At first glance I thought that was a cast iron pan....I see now it's a springform pan :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can shake them in the half sheet pan too....
The aluminum and large surface area dissipates the heat quickly.

Aluminum dissipates heat very quickly.

I like your idea too.... :thumbsup:

Loyalist Dave said:
When I was in the Army, 50+ years ago, we got instant coffee in C rations. You could mix it up in a canteen cup, if you carried one, and few of us did, so it mainly was thrown away. It wasn't Latte, but it was better than tea, for Christ's sake.

Ah well having had C-Rations, then MRE's while I was in the Corps, 30+ years ago, the coffee is sour..., it has some Vitamin C added to it. We used to pour it into the bag of hot chocolate, add enough cold water to liquefy the whole into a sort of thin "gravy" and eat the "mocha" with a spoon. :wink: Pepped you up, and you captured the calories, and didn't have to use a heat source that might give you away.

TEA? Sir, a properly prepared cup of tea is Vastly Superior to any form of "instant coffee". If one can secure some milk and sugar, it affords the drinker a small portion of genteel civilization often in the most inhospitable situations, and does not weigh much to do so. :wink:

LD

Yeah, I get it, the Tea in Boston Harbor has almost steeped long enough for a "civilized" cup of tea. :haha:

Was on active duty long enough I wished we had gone BACK to C Rats on more than one occasion.

I beg to differ on the instant coffee, Swiss Mocha has been my favorite for years. Matter of fact I considered it so essential, I put some cans of it in our Mount Out Boxes when we went to Mogadishu, Somalia.

In Somalia, I came up with a concoction I called "Sun Coffee." Empty half a water bottle, add two packages of MRE Coffee, one or two packages of MRE sugar and two or three spoonfuls of Swiss Mocha. Shake extremely vigorously and add more water to fill the bottle up about 3/4 full and shake vigorously again. Now it LOOKED terrible, but it tasted good and kept me going for the long days in Mogadishu.

Gus

If you need milk to cut the bitter flavor in the tea then you have steeped it too long. 4 minutes is the max.

Thanks for your service.

And thanks to all the service members away from home on this holiday. Merry Christmas.

Been doing a bunch of roasting since I got my new order of 17lbs, 8 varieties. Did three roasts of one type and the flavour is always different, trying to get this one flavour from it but its hit and miss and hope I hit it soon.

Cooling off in mason jar.
SKX2QUA.jpg

Latest posts

Back