• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp coffee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with pretty much everything in that video....Except for the way he used the round bottom pot to roast coffee....That pot is too heavy to be tossing around, it also negates the purpose of legs.....He should have stirred it IMO.

I make my coffee in a cast iron skillet, constantly stirring in a small circular motion as I revolve the spoon around the pan. Never stop stirring...I use cast iron because it heats more evenly and has a less chance of burning....I take mine to about the same point he did, start of the second crack when the beans become glossy. Makes a smooth non bitter almost chocolaty brew.....I also have an old Turkish coffee grinder, but I don't use it ....I don't like the fine grind.....Instead I use a 19th century wall mount hand crank coffee grinder that produces a coarser grind.

The coffee grinder ran dry yesterday so I roasted up the last of my Costa Rican beans......Dang! that's been some of the best coffee I've ever had.
Now I have to procure more, I hope the place I bought it hasn't gone out of business....

For those that haven't tried roasting their own, I highly recommend it....

Yup its like night and day, and no bitterness when done right.
Costa Rica one of My Faves, love the stuff. Down to about 4lb overall myself, do a 20lb order in the next month or so.

I grind (medium) I have a wall mount hand crank grinder that I store the beans in. then take 1 teaspoon and put it in a tea bag...and brew it like tea but in a full sized coffee mug...The longer the coffee soaks the stronger it gets.1.5 minutes is usually long enough for a good cup.....Just don't boil, that makes coffee bitter.

I drink coffee one cup at a time, not by the pot.

So I guess my answer is I teaspoon of ground beans per cup (10 ounces)

Like Black Hand said adjust to taste.

lol, actualy usualy I forget to check so it can exceed 10min.
I jut made some and ....
I also makes sure the boiled water sits a couple minutes so its a few degrees cooler, smoother coffee.

iOChgjX.jpg

IokyLJO.jpg

95ZfX87.jpg

Actually, as I think about it...I usually just go by color of the liquid....When you start with good coffee and roast it yourself, it's hard to screw up.

Colorado Clyde said:
I was guessing on my time...... :idunno:

It's coffee not rocket science. :haha:

8.1344 min at sea level. Add 4.76 seconds per 100 feet of elevation, adjusting as need for ambient temp addin .02 seconds for every degree above 50 degrees f , removing .00079 seconds for every degree below 50f. African coffees need .03 second longer then south Asian coffees. While South American coffees are right on time. Jamaican blue mountain coffee does .0002 second less of fine grind and French roast. Course grinds add time by .000004 depending on color of roast.......

I've always used 1 rounded teaspoon for each cup, plus "one for the pot", so that's 11 in a ten-cup pot. When roasting beans, I'd roast them and grind them until I had enough to make enough teaspoons to make the coffee in the amount I desired.

LD

Back