• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp stoves/braziers 1790-1840

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckyjed

.45, .50, .62 cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to build a camp stove/brazier, more on the brazier style. I have seen a few larger type braziers at some events more along the 12"x24" plus or minus an inch or two dimensions with removable legs or some sort. Were there large braziers that were used back in the colonial and fur trade eras? I have found the 8"x8" and 10"x10" braziers but nothing else but some Roman style metal cookers with one or more holes for pots and a series of metal rods that fold over for use as a grate. Any pictures out there that I might be able to use for reference in building one would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jed

Thanks, I have done these searches and I still have not seen what a lot of people are using at some of the reenactments that I have been to lately. Most of the ones found in searches are the 8x8 or 10x10 inch versions. I was looking more at the 12wx24Lx30Tall ones. Didn't know if the ones that I saw were historically correct or not though.

They are not historically correct. They are acceptable because some camps have to limit open fires, and they look old timey.
Back in the day braziers were small and largely used by military officers.
People didn’t camp for fun. If you had to be out you made a camp fire. Soldiers did the same.
Brazier servers officers for hot drinks, warm food or sit beside him in a tent in the cold.it’s an historic item used in a non historic way, by people whose class would not be using them.
But we don’t live then, we live now and a modern camp has to follow rules unknown back in the day

Yes, as stated braziers of the time were small and limited to those who would use them, I have two we use, one is about a foot square and suitable for a coffee pot or medium skillet or pot. I made it no welds completly hand rivited together it woks fine, the other is a larger one suitable for cooking what ever you want it even has a rotissery bar and attachments such as a swinging grate to sit a pot on, it breaks completly down and is held together with metal rods, and packs in a wooden box that came with it. It was purchased at Ft. Frederick market faire works very nice for cooking a complete meal at one time. It is nice if the weather is not cooperating set it up under the fly and you do not have to be out in the rain or snow.

I use an old, slightly-rusty cast-iron hibachi, without the things in the back that hold the racks.
I also use a large cast-iron grid from a barbecue grill that died, but the cast iron was still good.
The hibachi looks old, and passes for my purposes. I bought a new replacement hibachi for grilling at home for less than $40.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal-grills/8306037
I think of it as being in the spirit of the era, where things get repurposed when the original purpose is used up.
It can be free-standing on the ground or a table (with care), or set it in a pile of dirt or sand, and it looks pretty good.
You can also use wood fire accessories, like tripods or single-pole hangers.
It works for me.
YMMV

Something like this, I believe it is of Roman use ( a remake of one found at Pompeii). Just didn't know if it would be colonial era correct as it is a lot older design.
brazier.jpg

Some of this type I have seen at events but they are taller and have bottoms in them for the fire/charcoal. They also do not have the rings for the pots as well.

Something like this, I believe it is of Roman use ( a remake of one found at Pompeii). Just didn't know if it would be colonial era correct as it is a lot older design.
View attachment 160726
Neat design, even as Kentucky said about the bottom being designed to hold charcoal it would not be difficult to modify the above design to do that. We use the cowboy type chacoal in ours. Also would want to put handles on the sides so it would be easier to move about. really like the ability for the rings to sit a coffee pot or cooking pot it would be out of the way of the main grate assembly if you were grilling say a 2 In. thick elk steak. 👍

Latest posts

Back