• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burned wooden ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyB

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a ramrod to replace the one on my gun (I have a range rod). I would like to find one with a spiral burn pattern, like a barber's pole. This is purely for asthetics and will stay in the gun. Where might I find one of these? An on-line source would be best. Thanks.

I concur with Rat Trapper, just put tape on the rod and use a propane torch and burn the pattern in. :thumbsup:

I have used fiberglass tape with good results. Practice on a piece of scrap first to get the hang of it.

Best do it yourself. I wrapped my rod in moist rope and then went to town with a propane torch.

I put a washer in my vise, and put a machine screw through it that threaded iinto the RR to hold that end, then used a propane torch in one hand and spun the rod with the other hand. turned out great.

Where do I get a wooden RR of the appropriate size? I like the moist rope idea. I don't have a propane torch, but a lighter or candle should work, right?

I've done it with regular ol' masking tape...just wrap it like a barber pole, hit the untaped areas with the torch, and peel off the tape (use steel wool carefully where the tape is scorched and gummy). True oil it up...

If you've got the time, a candle will work just fine. It's just slow going. I started out using a candle with mine and then ran over to my father-in-laws to get a torch to finish it off!

Back