• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheel weight lead question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned empirically that "pure" WW projectiles can shatter at terminal velocities approaching 1200fps
Huh? Wha?
My flinter does 1630fps with a standard load, and 2050fps with a max load.
Even my PBC do 1450-1600fps, down form 1750fps where I started off at.
and them be 460-540gr pills.

I am not going to risk Metal Fume Fever for some cheap wheel weights. I had a friend die from complications of it. His name was Paw Paw Wilson (Jim). If you don't believe me google him.
Inhaling large amounts of zinc (as zinc dust or fumes from smelting or welding) can cause a specific short-term disease called metal fume fever, which is generally reversible once exposure to zinc ceases. However, very little is known about the long-term effects of breathing zinc dust or fumes.
You notice the white residue when welding on galvanized but melting even pure lead without proper ventilation is a bad idea so I can't imagine a time when you could get enough zinc fumes to be a problem. Also if you are getting enough blow by from shooting to effect you... congratualations. I wish I could shoot that much. These are all from WW and shoot dead on every time I get a chance.

Attachments

• 20240129_154213.jpg
    20240129_154213.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back