• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimKok

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Am new with muzzleloading I own a Traditions 50 cal deerhunter sidelock and I have a question I just casted some REAL bullets and I was woundering if I have to use a patch when I load it and shoot it Thank You

No patch needed. The REAL bullets (and similar types, such as the MAXI-ball) are designed to be loaded without a patch, but with a suitable lubricant applied before loading.
mhb - Mike

No patch required, but you want lube in the grooves of the REAL. Almost any lube will work, but lots are messy.

One thing worth passing along on the REAL. In most guns I've shot or heard about, they perform best if you put a lubed felt wad between them and the powder. Some folks call them "bore buttons." Worth a try if you're not happy with the accuracy, but not mandatory.

Thank-You for your help I hope this sunday or monday I will be able to try it I think am also going to try the buttons

The letters REAL stand for Rifle-ing Engraved At Loading. So as the others said, no patch needed. Because the bands begin to take the rifleing at the muzzle, you will find it takes a little effort to load them.

P

They work good for me but even better with a very light lube on the REAL and a lubed felt pad between the REAL and the powder.

You do not use a patch with the R.E.A.L. bullets. The lands in the bore of your rifle need to be able to engrave into the sides of the bullet. Just apply an even coat of a good lube onto the sides of the bullet. However, I have found that to ensure a good tight seal, you might want to use an over powder wad. A good snug fitting felt wad of about 1/8 inch in thickness works well. I make my own from a 100% wool product from Duro-Felt. http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html I apply a coating of lube to the uncut sheet of felt and put it into the microwave for a few seconds to melt the lube into the felt. Then I use a hollow punch that I bought from a man, Donald Weimer, on the forum who goes by the name of Ohio Ramrod to cut out the wads. His punches are very reasonably priced It's a lot cheaper than buying pre-cut wads. Email him at [email protected] and tell him the exact size punch you want and he will make it for you. I'm pretty sure that his prices have not changed since I bought my last one for $10 plus postage. A real bargain.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good advice !!! I use the R.E.A.L. Bullet (when allowed) and have found a few other recommendation's that I would suggest !!!

a). Counter-Bore your muzzle (remove the Land's) to the depth that will allow the Ram-Rod to push the Slug down onto the Powder.. This will save your Thumb and prevent you from beating the Slug into the Bore !!!

b). I don't use any Patch between the Slug and Powder !!! Want no garbage left in the Bore for the next charge !!! Never saw any improvement anyway !!!

c). Mark your Rod to ensure a clean Bore (every shot) !!!

d). If your a "paper-puncher", use the old measure of one grain per Cal... 50 cal. = 50gr... Good for practice "standing on your rear Feet" !!! (Ned Roberts) !!!

Last !!! " Always think before you do". Enjoy Life !!! :thumbsup:

Ed.....

I used .585 cal real"s in my 1853 three band (Euroarms)Enfield. Now I know it makes no sense but I got the best results by lubing the bullet, then loading a dry 6mm ( 1/4 inch) felt wad over the 60 grns of 2f powder.

The only reason I can think of for the better accuracy that this produced is that the wad prevented gas erosion of the bullet in the bore.

Thank_you all for the great information I did go to the range and shot some of the real bullets I couldn't hit the target at 50 yards I was doing better with the balls but I figure I will keep triing

Jimk said:
Thank_you all for the great information I did go to the range and shot some of the real bullets I couldn't hit the target at 50 yards I was doing better with the balls but I figure I will keep triing

I've never been able to get Real bullets to shoot accurately for me. Seems they work well for some and not for others. I'm in the second group. I have enjoyed the Maxi-balls though. They have even worked well for me in slower RB twist barrels. I've only noticed a slight (and I mean slight) oblong hole at 80 yrds.

Back