• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle-musket load development tips?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I hope everyone is doing well.

I am the proud owner of a Parker Hale P53 Enfield s/n #1513 in great condition. It came with a Lee modified minié mould that casts a flat-nosed bullet weighing 470 grains and measuring .574”.

I‘ve been shooting traditional sidelock muzzleloaders since 1980, but this is the first rifle musket I’ve ever had. I hope some helpful souls on our forum with experience in these things could advise me on load development. From watching a few YouTube videos I get the impression that an accurate target load is substantially lower-powered than the historical service loads.

Thank you for your consideration

Welcome to a very deep rabbit hole.

First off. Every PH I've handled took a .576 minie to shoot accurately. Minies have to be cast from pure lead. Lube is critical and absolutely has an effect on accuracy. I use beeswax/lard/coconut oil/lanolin mix. I've found in testing that crisco isn't capable of the same accuracy levels. Use only real black powder and quality RWS or Scheutzen caps.

Now as to the "utoob" experts vis a vis the "service load". The original service load was supposedly 60g. The real question here is the quality and actual granulation of the powder in the original service load. Is that same, identical powder still in production today? Absolutely not, so all you're going to be able to do is approximate. Accurate target loads, as with most modern centerfire arms, are also often not at the upper power range of any given type of arm. In 2f v 3f powder, 3f will most often give the most efficient and cleanest burn depending on the powder. I use Swiss 3f in both my Parker Hales for that reason. My goto load for competition is 42f 3f Swiss which in "Goex" terms is about the same as 50g 2f Goex.

Thank you for your reply.

I’m still trying to dial in my Whitworth for the most accurate load, and i didn’t need the distraction of another gun. But the price was too good and I couldn’t let it pass. I’m not going to live forever so I ‘indulged’ myself.

.... From watching a few YouTube videos I get the impression that an accurate target load is substantially lower-powered than the historical service loads.
Don't know what you watched, but I have an 1861 Colt Special and the historical load for the 1861 rifle musket is 60 gr., and I've been shooting 65 gr. 3F Scheutzen with good results. Don't take the videos as "gospel" but just as "anecdotal". Have a great time shooting your Enfield!! And don't be too cautious about trying whatever you want to try.

Don't know what you watched, but I have an 1861 Colt Special and the historical load for the 1861 rifle musket is 60 gr., and I've been shooting 65 gr. 3F Scheutzen with good results. Don't take the videos as "gospel" but just as "anecdotal". Have a great time shooting your Enfield!! And don't be too cautious about trying whatever you want to try.
Thanks mate, I appreciate your help.
I intend to make cartridges replicating the British and US service loads as I gradually acquire equipment, for my own enjoyment and experimental archeology.

. . . From watching a few YouTube videos I get the impression that an accurate target load is substantially lower-powered than the historical service loads.
It entirely depends on what you want to do. Many only shoot short range (say out to 100 yards) and can use light loads to lob their bullets into the target with good accuracy. If you want to shoot longer ranges (with the MLAGB we have National Championship matches for Enfield rifle out to 600 yards) then you’ll need to be looking at the historical Service Charges, or possibly more.

I want the rifle to recoil / perform during load development as it will in a match, so don’t do any load development sat at a bench with the rifle rested. Our shooting at longer ranges is prone with just the military sling for support, so that is how I do my load development - albeit with the addition of a wrist rest for a little extra stability (the rifle still sat in the hand). The sling helps keep consistent shoulder pressure.

David

Last edited:
Back