• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo Quarter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjkershul

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a domestic (raised) buffalo quarter. What is the opinion of the forum as which is best? Front quarter or rear quarter?

You need to talk to the place where you are getting the meat. On beef, the animal carries the bulk of the weigh in the rear quarters. The highest priced retail cuts come from the rear end. The front quarters are mostly bone and connective tissue.

The Bison carries most of its weight on the front end. If you watch a bison, they will pivot on the front end, as opposed to a beef critter pivoting on the rear end. I am not sure whether this is due to the front quarters being larger or the taller chine bones and resulting shoulder hump of the bison. Again, ask your meat person about bison versus beef.

Here, found this for you.
http://www.bisonworld.ca/quarter.html

Check with the folks you buy from, they may do what my bison purveyor does. When we buy a quarter we get 1/2 of the front quarter and 1/2 of the rear quarter - called a "split quarter". You get a bit of both ends and it has worked out real well for us. The chuck roasts are out of this world, so you want to get some of the front 1/4. Last time we bought some, we only paid $2.58 per pound - good price for burger but a great price for T-bones and rib-eyes . . .

Hamkiller,
Little doubt that the rear 1/4 is the
best piece of meat. To save some $$ you might want to consider a split 1/4. Preparing either
is in the cooking. Just treat it as any good
or less than good piece of beef. Buffalo is
great eating when cooked properly.IMO
snake-eyes
:hmm:

Call me stupid, but for a second there I was thinking you were talking about this kind of buffalo quarter:

KS_winner.gif

I don't think this kind is very good eatin' though. :rotf:

Good info, guys. I keep thinking about a bison meat shoot not far from here, but even a yearling is a lot of meat. Sure love the stuff, though, and my ticker could stand a little less cholesterol in my diet, which switching to bison meat would help achieve.

Plus-1 on the split quarter. When we were buying our beef from a neighbor we would get it divided up that way. Makes it easier to figure cost and everyone pays the same.

Latest posts

Back