• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo Bullets secret lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a clue as to what the sticky lube is on Ball-ets?

It's a trade secret but somebody must have an idea what it is.

All I know is it remains stable over years and years.

HD

buttonbuck said:
Does alox dry like that?

Alox dries to a sticky varnish-like texture but over time it dries completely.

The lube on Ball-ets remains sticky over years.

They say it's all natural.

HD

i like Mark's idea. had some cartridges made up for a falling block paper cartridge Sharps that sat about for a number of years. they were lubed with bees wax and when i found them again after a move, they were still soft/sticky and worked great.

make good smoke!

I'd agree it's primarily wax but it is soft enough to smear between your fingers. It has to be mixed with something else, lanolin maybe?

For the record, I'm not trying to expose a trade secret. I'm just curious and have no plans to try to duplicate it.

:v

HD

FWIW I've been doing some searches on the net and found tons of homemade recipes that contain beeswax and lanolin among other oils and even soaps. Many of them are reported as "sticky" so I think I'm on the right track.

I'm going to get some lanolin and make some small experimental batches of lube.

HD

You can make your own lanolin if you have a butcher that can supply lamb or sheep fat. Just render it in a skillet.

Its the lanolin that keeps the lube " sticky" forever. There are better lubes. The problem with "Sticky " lubes is that everything sticks to it, including your hands, lint, dust, sand, grits, metal filings and bits, etc.

Most of what sticks to the lube is not good for your barrel. :shocked2: :( :nono: :hmm: :thumbsup:

paulvallandigham said:
Its the lanolin that keeps the lube " sticky" forever. There are better lubes. The problem with "Sticky " lubes is that everything sticks to it, including your hands, lint, dust, sand, grits, metal filings and bits, etc.

Most of what sticks to the lube is not good for your barrel. :shocked2: :( :nono: :hmm: :thumbsup:

That's the problem with Buffalo Bullets. If you drop one you better clean it off before you load it. They are very STICKY.

I'm going to do some temperature testing on these bullets. I want to see how the lube holds up to heat and cold, particularly what it takes to melt the lube.

HD

Back