• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

$20/lb. BP in Phillipsburg PA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would check it out if not too inconvenient. Twenty bucks per pound is a good price for any kind of black powder these days. On top of that, any order that requires shipping will cost you an additional $40 or so in shipping and HazMat fees, whether you order one pound or ten. If you can buy it locally, especially at $20 per pound, you’ll save a lot of money.

I think some places buy powder in bulk and have it packaged in containers with their own label (e.g. Travelers brand, or Graf’s) to sell a little cheaper than the name brands. Also, some of the “reenactor” powders sell for less than the better grades. As far as I know, reenactor powders are intended for blank loads. I hear they work safely for propelling ball or shot, but they may not burn as cleanly or consistently as better grades. I have a pound or two of Goex Reenactor powder but I have not tried shooting any of it yet, for blanks or ball.

However, I’m getting ahead of myself here. I think if I saw a sign for black powder at $20 a pound, I would want to check it out. Who knows… they might have percussion caps, too…

Notchy Bob

I bought a pound of 3F from them last year. I wish them the best but it wasn’t good. I had trouble getting it to fire. Very weak stuff. I’ll stick with schuetzen.

I wish I could report a more positive outcome but it’s sitting on a shelf with no plans for using it.

I bought a pound of 3F from them last year. I wish them the best but it wasn’t good. I had trouble getting it to fire. Very weak stuff. I’ll stick with schuetzen.

I wish I could report a more positive outcome but it’s sitting on a shelf with no plans for using it.
Homemade stuff perhaps?

This is a gun shop that has started this. I’m not sure if it’s made on the premises or elsewhere. Man I wish it was better because I drive past it a couple times a year. There is a thread on here about it somewhere.

Ok here’s an update on American Black Powder.

I went to the range today to shoot my .32 Crockett. I took my bottle of ABP along. The last time I shot it was out of my .36 flintlock and wasn’t impressed. It shot about 4” lower than 3f schuetzen.

I started off today with Schuetzen and then switched to ABP. it shot the same. Same group and impact point. I was very (pleasantly) surprised. I switched back and forth between the two. They shot the same.

Their 3f is a lot finer than schuetzen or Goex. Closer to 4f I’d say.

Next time I shoot my flintlock, I’ll try it again. But out of this percussion it shoots fine.

I’ll give another report.

Back