• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical bullets in a .44 ROA and 1858

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've only used ball in the past but a couple of years ago I started powder coating so my Star sizers no longer have or need lube.

I have a few Q's about conical bullets.

Should these also be pure lead or is a hard alloy usable / preferable?
How does powder coating do in BP revolvers?
If powder coating is not desirable, and not lubing in the sizer, what other methods will work?
I saw a video of a fellow using plain unlubricated conicals, no wad, no lube over the bullet. Why no lube of any kind?

Lastly, I have a few thou 235 grain bullets for a .45 ACP that are wax lubed and sized to 453. Any reason I cannot use these?

Last edited:
I've only used ball in the past but a couple of years ago I started powder coating so my Star sizers no longer have or need lube.

I have a few Q's about conical bullets.

Should these also be pure lead or is a hard alloy usable / preferable?
I've run up to 9 Brinell without trouble. If you can load them without overly straining the loading lever, you're fine
How does powder coating do in BP revolvers?
If powder coating is not desirable, and not lubing in the sizer, what other methods will work?
Don't bother with powder coat, if your bullets fit like they should you'll just wipe it off. Pan lubing works great, as does dip lubing base first in melted lube, while holding the bullet in pliers or tweezers. You could even wipe it on with your fingers if you don't mind putting the time in.
I saw a video of a fellow using plain unlubricated conicals, no wad, no lube over the bullet. Why no lube of any kind?
For one cylinder it wouldn't matter, but there will be a lot of fouling. I've run lubed wads under bare conicals with a slightly reduced charge, it works fine at the range.
Lastly, I have a few thou 235 grain bullets for a .45 ACP that are wax lubed and sized to 453. Any reason I cannot use these?
Only reason not to is the base band is oversized for your chambers. You'll play hell getting them centered and straight. If you can size the base and middle driving bands to .001" under the chamber diameter you should be fine. Others have done it but they've commented on the difficulty.

Good luck to you,
Pete

I got some JD conicals just to play with. While they seat fine ok in the ASP NMA/Pietta NMA and the ROA, they have not yielded anything remotely accurate.

I will shoot them up and then stick with balls.

At a guess at Horse Pistol range it would make no practical difference, trying to shoot a B Eye in that situation would be impossible. Probably just shoot the other horse and take it from there.

That's a bummer, I've had great luck with conicals. If you're not hunting anything bigger than rabbits, you won't be missing anything. Balls shoot fine as you already know. Still, it's fun to try different things. Maybe post pictures of your bullets and list your load, maybe we can help

Latest posts

Back