• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech Plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Do all CVA Muzzleloaders have a removable Breech Plug? Not interested in inline rifles just the traditional cap lock and flintlock.

Short of cutting the breech end of the barrel, I doubt you will get them out.

Breech plugs on traditional MLers shouldn't need to be removed.

None of their standard traditional sidelock guns are removable.

From CVA
WARNING: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ATTEMPTS BE MADE TO REMOVE THE BOLSTER OR BREECH PLUG. THIS IS AN INTEGRAL PATENTED SYSTEM WHICH CAN ONLY BE REMOVED OR INSTALLED BY QUALIFIED FACTORY PERSONNEL. ANY FORM OF TAMPERING WILL VOID ALL WARRANTIES.

Not recommended but if it is to be done, it should be done by someone experienced in this. Once out it would be difficult to get back in place and properly aligned with the powder drum. Powder drum may even need replaced after removed.

Colorado Clyde said:
None of their standard traditional sidelock guns are removable.

From CVA
WARNING: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD ATTEMPTS BE MADE TO REMOVE THE BOLSTER OR BREECH PLUG. THIS IS AN INTEGRAL PATENTED SYSTEM WHICH CAN ONLY BE REMOVED OR INSTALLED BY QUALIFIED FACTORY PERSONNEL. ANY FORM OF TAMPERING WILL VOID ALL WARRANTIES.

Worth repeating. Hope it is heeded.

I would also note; That even companies like Thompson center and all other traditional barrel makers for that matter. Their breech plugs should not be removed without a dam good reason and qualified experience....

Remember! The breech plug is usually what the Medical examiner removes from the skull of the corpse when there is a failure.
Modern inlines with removable breech plugs have 3-5 times the threads to hold the breech plug in....most also have a breech face of some type to prevent it from becoming a projectile.

Although some traditional sidelock breech plugs "can" be removed....They are, and should be considered non-removable....as the manufacturer intends.

if a man can put it together. then another with the proper tool can take it a part and put it back together

Of all of the sidelock guns on the market, the CVA and Traditions are probably the guns that rank as the worst ones to try to remove the breech plug.

The breech plug is not only screwed into the rear of the barrel but, after this is done, a cross-hole is drilled and threaded and either a drum on a percussion gun or a plug on a flintlock is firmly screwed into it.

This results in needing to remove the drum or plug before any attempt is made to actually remove the breech plug.

You can see my drawing of this type of breech in the upper right hand of this picture.

37818836434_eb87a3fa31_z.jpg

The only reason for removing a breech plug IMO is to rebore and rifle the barrel or to get a stuck ball with a hole thru its center out of the bore.

(There are several good ways to get a "dry ball" out of a barrel that do not require removing the breech plug).

Anyway, it is best to consider the breech plug on all muzzleloaders as a fixed part of the barrel that is not meant to be removed.

And yet once in a while someone will recommend pulling a breech plug to "inspect the barrel" on a used rifle to "make sure it is safe" before firing the gun.

I have bought a number of used reproduction traditional muzzle loaders and would not attempt to pull the plug. There are other ways to inspect the innards.

An original might be a different story.

Because CVA said they could be by a qualified person. I also talked to a tool and die machinist that said he has removed them. I think if man built it other men can work on it.

The CVA breeches and drums were done by machine. A man did not put it together, it was all automated. I do believe any barrel/ breech/drum problems warranted barrel replacement not repair by a technician.

Some have taken these apart. It is possible but it was never designed to be.....taken apart.

Why do you need to pull the breech?

Stlnifr said:
Because CVA said they could be by a qualified person.

No they didn't...You paraphrased their statement and you are missing the intent of their statement.

Do all CVA Muzzleloaders have a removable Breech Plug?

I also talked to a tool and die machinist that said he has removed them. I think if man built it other men can work on it.

Your two statements are in conflict with each other.....

I do not have one that needs to be removed, I was just thinking and though I would mention it to hear thoughts on it. Never hurts to try to extend ones knowledge.

Latest posts

Back