• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass under hammer build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, given the way that brass looks, I'd have to say a nice deep highly polished blue would do the trick!

When I first ask you about a brass one do you remember what I said about haveing that 12g all in copper, might look really good if you could get the copper to turn the color of DARK brass John. Fred :hatsoff:

Fantastic work but, let's see all of her! :rotf: :rotf:
Seriously I would love to see a couple of full body shots. There is some of us who don't get to see many underhammers! :hmm:

Very nice work John :hatsoff: I spent years as a metal fabricator/welder in a job shop and thought I knew a thing or two. Would appreciate a view of the right side of the 'receiver' and also knowing how you found center for the rear sight post.

Blizzard of 93, There is a view of the right side at Post#443266. Getting center for the rear sight was easy, had the action clamped in the mill vice which do to the curve had it strait up and down. Used an edge finder and moved over 1/2" to center ( action is 1" OD ). With the barrel level with the table I drilled and tapped the hole 1/4" X 40.
This has been a fun project and I am getting a little excited about trying it out on the range. I cast up a bunch of balls for it so as soon as I get it finished it's going to get tested.

Oh yeah I see the right side, mostly a 'rear' view, would like to check out the taper pin exit closer. You have my admiration John, good work. I see now how the reciver 'centered' in the vise due to the curve, it was self-indexing of a sort.
If that 'fun' becomes an addiction then make me one. :thumbsup: I'll releive ya of it so you can start another!

I got enough brass for a couple more but I'm running short on hammers and triggers. If I start adding up all the parts and time the price will be up there. Just checked the price of brass for a full size frame (1&1/4"), with shipping it would be over $40. I can make hammers and triggers but the time involved takes me away from other work that is backed up. I still have 2 other under hammer builds that are not finished and one is already sold. If you really want one then PM or e-mail me and let me know what you have in mind.

Dad ened up in hospiral the other night but ask me to send you more triggers, hammers, and stock Ive been at work or hospital and havent had time to get to the mail box I have your address so will try and get it out the next day or two after work. Oldst son, Chris.

Thanks Chris.
Thought I would try something different on the thimbles, not sure I'm happy with it.
UHthimble.jpg
Got to figure a way to get the solder cleaned up before blue.

Didn't like the thimbles so started over.
thimble.jpg

Got the ram rod made and saw that I needed something to keep it away from the hammer so I made a flash shield.
flashhider.jpg

Then there is the butt plate. Made from 1/8" steel plate with a curve added in both direction.
buttplate.jpg

It has been a genuine pleasure to see this work of art come together - what an elegant and beautiful little gun; would be a real joy to own - congratulations - maybe someday I'll hit the lottery...

Man you shore know how to tease a fellar, come on on lets see a pic of her full lenght yo know! I too like the second thimble better. Still anxious to see the whole rifle in a shot! What I have seen looks great!

I have enjoyed watching your progress John. I must say that you are a master at your craft. I hope you post a full range report when you are finished! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks for all the nice words. It's going off to get blue this week and then I will try it out on a target to see what it will do. I went to a rondy today just to visit and was informed that they don't allow peep sights. I don't see as good as I did when I was doing the competition thing so this may not go to any rondys. I don't want to cut another dovetail in the barrel, I'll just make another gun with different sights or go back to my 62 which still has a piece of paper folded up and jammed under the rear sight to get the proper elevation. Some day I will have to finish that 62.

hey john! i've been following your post closely, and have start my own underhammer build, also. starting with a solid block of aluminum, i'm at the point where the hammer and trigger have been installed in the roughly machined reciever block, but i feel like the half cock notch is interfering with normal operation. do you normally need to "tune" the operation of these parts? (by the way, you have succeeded in impressing me very, very much)

Back