• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass Ramrods - Where now ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I've had brass ramrods made at October Country for a good 15+ years now with good quality results, have been loyal giving them repeat business and good advertisement.
But I'm finding myself in the middle of a second situation...first in 2009 and now 2010...where I've placed an order for a few tubular ramrods of a particular length x diameter and they're no longer as responsive as they used to be, can't deliver like they used to.

Apparently they don't stock much on hand any more, and are waiting until they get some minimum amount before placing an order for more tubular brass stock...fine for them maybe, but not for the consumer because the average wait time is several months now.
Worse than that, they've continued to ignore my requests for a specific delivery date, or even to call me with weekly status updates after committing to do so...forcing me past the point of loyalty and I have to look elsewhere, now.

If anyone knows of some places that makes quality custom brass ramrods, I'd appreciate the info...not wood, aluminum, etc...brass ramrods...Thanks

I can't compare price or quality, but The Gun Works lists three from Ozone Mountain Manufacturing. That's a link to the longest. Scroll back a page for the other two.

There's a note that it's limited to stock on hand at TGW, so I don't know if the manufacturer is gone or if they're just not going to carry them any more. The price sure looks right if the quality is there.

If anyone knows of some places that makes quality custom brass ramrods, I'd appreciate the info...not wood, aluminum, etc...brass ramrods...Thanks

Remember the adage; If ya want something done right ya gotta do it yourself! :)

I have made one 28" brass rod for my tc from solid brass rod and it works just fine but might be a bit heavy in a 32 or longer barrel config.

Planning on getting some tubular brass and trying it out.

I make these the same way as with a wood rod by using a 5/16th rod and a 3/8th OD ramrod tip. The 5/16th rod slides right into the inside of the ramrod tip and is glued and pinned just like with wood.

Actually, it was you that got me started on these brass rods. :)

i just go out to my garage and make the parts i need! :rotf:

i know, i know! :surrender: not everyone has a metal working lathe in their backyard. :v

DarenN, Do you have two bridgeports and a surface grinder as well?. Yes it is easy and cheaper for those of us who have the tools. We can make what we need and get exactly what we want rather than settle for what is available from some one else.Unfortunately they closed the metalics recycling yard near me so now I don't get the brass rod I like as cheap any more. But then the world isn't perfect. :hmm:

I got a tap and die set that came from a pawn shop. With that and a hack saw and file I make mine from 3/8" outside diameter x 1/8" inside diameter brass tube. Still have to drill out the center a little bit for 8-32 and 10-32 threads to make it easy to tap.

GoodCheer said:
I make mine from 3/8" outside diameter x 1/8" inside diameter brass tube.
Still have to drill out the center a little bit for 8-32 and 10-32 threads to make it easy to tap.
Started Googling just last night to try and find a place that sells good quality hard tubular brass stock...do you get your's from an Internet source or locally there?

ohio ramrod said:
DarenN, Do you have two bridgeports and a surface grinder as well?. Yes it is easy and cheaper for those of us who have the tools. We can make what we need and get exactly what we want rather than settle for what is available from some one else.Unfortunately they closed the metalics recycling yard near me so now I don't get the brass rod I like as cheap any more. But then the world isn't perfect. :hmm:

no, nothing so fancy. :surrender:

at home here i've got an old South Bend 9" lathe and a converted-to-mill drillpress. at work i have access to lots better equipment, but i don't like to use it for personal projects, unless i have to. i've done some pretty decent machining with the equipment i have at home. just gotta be careful with set-ups and tooling.

i haven't started on my brass ramrod yet, but i have the brass rod, and some thicker brass to make the bore gaurd. i'll chuck the rod in the lathe and turn it with a 1/2" ball-end mill in the tailstock chuck to concave the end of the rod for my .50 cal. same thing for the drill and tap operation.

for small quantities of odd materials there is a place nearby called The Metal Supermarket. but they ain't cheap! i paid $4/foot for 3/8" brass. i have to check and see if they have any kind of brass tubing. i'd machine solid ends for it, and solder them in.

Roundball, I noticed they are hard to find as well. Just last year I was tyring to search for one for my father. I had bought one a couple years earlier and they seemed to be available everywhere on the internet. I think mine was also bought from October Country.

DarrenN, I got so used to using the company equipment when I worked the night shift in the tool room. That I bought my own equipment before I retired. I still miss all of those expensive machines that allowed me to make whatever tooling I needed out of "obsolete " tooling.We had bins full of obsolete tooling so I had a ready supply of tool steel and several grinders to regrind it.

i'm not in a dedicated machine shop. just general metal work. i learned sheet metal work from my father. he also taught me to shoot. he's 77 now, and just goes fishing. i've been a metal worker since i was 20; thats=-+x/ about 30 years :wink: . are we far enough off topic yet? :wink:

i've been thinking about DIY'ing brass ramrods.
it could easily be done with just a drillpress and a vise. the vise needs to have vertical "v" grooves in it. it would take some carefull set-up but i know i could hit dead center, with a little work.

roundball said:
GoodCheer said:
I make mine from 3/8" outside diameter x 1/8" inside diameter brass tube.
Still have to drill out the center a little bit for 8-32 and 10-32 threads to make it easy to tap.
Started Googling just last night to try and find a place that sells good quality hard tubular brass stock...do you get your's from an Internet source or locally there?

Got mine from Morris Metals local to me in Houston. http://www.morrismetals.com/contact.html

Last edited by a moderator:
GoodCheer said:
Got mine from Morris Metals local to me in Houston. http://www.morrismetals.com/contact.html

An excellent site, bookmarked it, thanks for sharing it.

But I have to tell you I had to chuckle...in spite of the huge comprehensive listing of every imaginable size of hard strong brass tubing, I couldn't believe my luck when I realized they skipped right over the 5/16" size, which is what I was looking for :rotf:

But it's such an illogical omission in their otherwise thorough size listing sequence that I bet they really do stock it...I'll give them a call and see, thanks again

roundball said:
But I have to tell you I had to chuckle...in spite of the huge comprehensive listing of every imaginable size of hard strong brass tubing, I couldn't believe my luck when I realized they skipped right over the 5/16" size, which is what I was looking for :rotf:
Did you see this?
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/201478/post/351238/

I do :redface: however, need to update the picture links. But I have an EXCELLENT source of metals if you need 5/16" hollow rod.

Actually it doesn't take a machine shop to produce a good SOLID brass ramrod. I made mine years ago (inspiration from here).

Went to the local supply house in Binghamton (can't remember the name offhand) and walked out with 10' of solid 5/16 brass. Hacksawed to length, and with a hand file reduced the end until the brass tips from my "wonder-rod" fit. Drilled a tiny hole and drove in a brass nail as a pin.

Couldn't have taken more than an hour or so...

Legion

Here ya go Roundball; Former RMC Sports which is now Cox Gun Shop. Click on online catalog and then ramrods in the list to the left. They will custom make to your size as well. Solid brass or tube aluminum. I bet if you sent them the tube stock they would cut and thread it for ya cheap.
http://www.rmcsports.com/

I noticed that they had some GM fast twist barrel blanks for sale @ 89.00 bucks; they are 28" long. For those that may have interest in a good conical barrel.

Back