• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brand new to muzzleloading, near Annapolis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. I am also from Maryland. A good club to belong to if you plan to build and shoot muzzleloaders is Marriottsville Muzzleloaders. They shoot at the Associated Gun Club ranges and have a pretty good bunch of members.

I was actually just looking at their website. Definitely looks like a good place to check out.

Hello all! I’m brand new to muzzle loading but I’m completely enthralled by it. I’m down around the Annapolis MD area and was wondering who else is in MD? Also plan on building a simple kit for my first rifle and would appreciate any suggestions on any good kit with a lower price tag (the wife isn’t as enthusiastic about this new adventure as I am ha). Thank you all!
Welcome!
I really like my Lyman Great Plains Rifle that I built from a kit in the early 80s, .50 caliber percussion. Perhaps a trip to a few pawn shops in Pennsylvania might produce a nice rifle, due to the primative season hunting regs regarding BP rifles in that state? I have that in mind should I ever find myself in Pennsylvania again.
Just last month I was in your area, in Annapolis Junction for work. It must have been the peak season or close to it for fall foliage, it was really nice to see the colors on display.

Hello all! I’m brand new to muzzle loading but I’m completely enthralled by it. I’m down around the Annapolis MD area and was wondering who else is in MD? Also plan on building a simple kit for my first rifle and would appreciate any suggestions on any good kit with a lower price tag (the wife isn’t as enthusiastic about this new adventure as I am ha). Thank you all!
I'm in Harford county MD. I shoot at Elkneck state park. Nice range albeit a bit out of the way.
Neil

Welcome. I am also from Maryland. A good club to belong to if you plan to build and shoot muzzleloaders is Marriottsville Muzzleloaders. They shoot at the Associated Gun Club ranges and have a pretty good bunch of members.
Ill definitely check them out, thank you!

Welcome from S.E. Michigan. Always load the ball right down on the powder. An air gap now & again causes a burst barrel.
Made my first rifle when I lived in Delmar, Delaware.
Miss the Shore.

Greetings from Damascus, birthplace of Meshach Browning, author of Forty-Four Years in the Life of a Hunter.
What exactly are you looking to get into? Caplock, flintlock? Rifle, smoothbore? Longrifle, Plains rifle, handgun? Artillery?

Do you know of any good black powder/muzzleloader shows even close to us?

Timonium has an annual antique arms show, but that tends to be collector stuff.
There is sometimes a winter "market fair" type show on US 15 North of Frederick but still inside Maryland
The Gunshow at The Dulles Expo Center is a hit or miss for used muzzleloader, but when it's a hit, it's usually good.

I'm close to Brunswick, Harpers Ferry WVA. You missed a great antique arms show last month in Gettysburg :( They may have a spring show, I'm not sure. ...,I'm happy with going to Gettysburg even if means crossing the Mason Dixon Line and going into Yankee territory 😅

Yeah my parents live in Brunswick, and I used to run the Hunter Safety course from that town. I agree I will drive up to PA from time to time for a bargain. There is an auction house in Gettysburg that also can have some great ML's for sale. It too has suffered though from the pestilence...

The associated gun clubs of Baltimore used to have a big range complex up near there ......

Yeah, I've been there too. I keep up my modern training by going to modern pistol matches there (I'm a LEO in Maryland) because we don't get enough training at my job. The NICE thing about the AGCoB is that IF you join one, the whole facility is open to you. So you join the ML club and then want to try skeet shooting or modern handgun...you're considered a "member" and you pay a lower participation fee.

LD

greetings from Frederick MD!

i'll be following this thread, as i'm also looking for a range & mentorship.

best of luck!

Latest posts

Back