• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from the swamps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teliliad

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone. I hope this finds y’all well. I am a former Marine. I served from 2006 to 2011 and have been a firearms enthusiast since my time in service. My interests in firearms is mostly for self defense, collecting and recreation. I haven’t done any hunting, and while I’m not opposed, not really sure that I plan to. Anyway, I’m newly intrigued by muzzleloaders. Not sure if I am just looking for a new adventure or what. But I have several reasons for my interest. I am interested in the history and seeing the developments in technology. I am interested in the gunsmithing aspect. I am interested in the experience of shouldering and firing these types of fire arms for historical purposes…trying to see what it was like to be a frontiersman or in the civil war sort of thing. I figure that learning to load a black powder firearm will to some degree strengthen my resolve for and Demystify the art of reloading metallic cartridges as well as bullet casting. And then just for some good ole red blooded American fun and tradition. Anyway. I do not own a black powder gun yet, but I have an idea on what I’d like my collection to look like. I’m thinking I want to start with a Traditions Flintlock Hawken kit or their Kentucky Rifle in a Percussion cap. Maybe practice some checkering on the stock, but really get in and learn the Way these rifles rifles tick. I’d also like to pickup a Pietta 1851 confederate navy and maybe even build an old pirate style flintlock pistol. I think Pedersoli had a kit that I liked for that idea. Eventually I want to build a matchlock smoothbore musket. And lastly I want to get a modern In-line. Must have wood furniture! Lol. Anyway that’s what is going on in my crazy head.

I’m newly intrigued by muzzleloaders. Not sure if I am just looking for a new adventure or what. But I have several reasons for my interest. I am interested in the history and seeing the developments in technology.
Welcome Teli
The reasons you state for a possible interest in muzzle loading is not unlike what got most of us addicted. If you wish to start with a factory made rifle, that's OK, most of us did. But, understand the addiction happens rapidly and is usually not curable. Do plan for a quality custom built rifle as soon as possible. You won't regret it.

Welcome Teli
The reasons you state for a possible interest in muzzle loading is not unlike what got most of us addicted. If you wish to start with a factory made rifle, that's OK, most of us did. But, understand the addiction happens rapidly and is usually not curable. Do plan for a quality custom built rifle as soon as possible. You won't regret it.
Nah, I’ve done a bit of gunsmithing and wood work. I want to start with a kit.

Welcome from Maine. Just a reminder we don't talk about in-lines on this forum.
Nit Wit
I’m curious if you’re just joking or if that’s really a taboo subject here. I’d have thought that inlines were just the next evolution in muzzleloader technology. But I’m new at this and I’ve never looked into muzzleloading much before now.

Back