• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP vs Black MZ

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose some of our members do make their own black powder but, they can not tell people about it on the Muzzleloading Forum.

Rule # 42: Members may not discuss the making of black powder or post links to web sites that offer instructions for making black powder.

IMO, a good part of the reason rule 42 exists is because of the liability issues.

Say old "OlePigSticker" reads all about making the stuff we don't talk about making, here on the forum and makes 10 or 20 pounds of it.
Then, for reasons totally unknown it suddenly detonates, killing "OlePigSticker" and blowing his house into kindling wood.:eek:

The lawsuit that could result against the MLF could cost the forum owner millions of dollars.

As much as I hate frivolous lawsuits, if I was on a jury in a case like this, I would probably feel the forum had contributed to OlePigSticker's death and I would vote against it and in favor of OlePigSticker's family.

Last edited:
Oh, gotcha. Makes sense. Sorry I did not know rule 42. Back to our pre programed rules for thinking and social propernessisaties and sumsuch political correctness for existing in today's society.
thanks zonie for the heads up.....

On page 7 of the U.S. Department of Justice Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Application for Explosives License or Permit application there are definitions, of them is one that defines a "manufacturer",
It states;

"7. Manufacturer. Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing explosive materials for purposes of sale or distribution or for his own use."

To me that means that if you are making your own BP without a manufacturers license, you are breaking the law.

Well, that does sound like it for sure. I must talk to this guy and see what a or how he did this in light of the law. Thanks for the information Carbon6

Well, had an interesting talk with my friend about the law and black powder. He argued that it is legal to make. I told him I would send him the federal law as quoted on this thread. I want his reaction to this.

On page 7 of the U.S. Department of Justice Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Application for Explosives License or Permit application there are definitions, of them is one that defines a "manufacturer",
It states;

"7. Manufacturer. Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing explosive materials for purposes of sale or distribution or for his own use."

To me that means that if you are making your own BP without a manufacturers license, you are breaking the law.

You're incorrect. Regarding your underlined portion above the key words is "engaged in the business." ATFE regulates businesses.

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs...ves-laws-and-regulations-atf-p-54007/download

Page 64, #37 reads:

"Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal, non-business use are not required to have a manufacturer’s license."

The following link further states:
https://www.atf.gov/file/56586/download

"Keep in mind that individuals do not need a manufacturer’s license if they are manufacturing black powder for their own personal, non-business use."

Last edited:
And this,drobs, is what my friend schooled me on. He has a FFL, does a lot of antique black powder builds and repairs on old antique firearms, makes BP cannons and mortars,etc. After reading and exploring this subject more, it seems there is a legal way to make your own BP for your own use in shooting sports. As far as storing, use common sense practices and it is no more dangerous than a lot of gas,cleaning solutions, alcohol,etc. I will be talking with him more. He has done this for years and knows his stuff. Even was a firearms instructor in the Marines, so he is a careful guy, and does a lot of studying on subjects he pursues. I realize making BP cannot be discussed as to the process,etc. on this forum for reasons I do not need to understand, and I can respect that. Thanks for the input from everyone. Healthy conversation on subjects like this only helps us all.
Like my friend said, "don't go making a bunch of BP and haul it in your truck to someplace it might be suspect, use common sense".

Back