• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alliance Black MZ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Awhile back Alliant offered powder called Black MZ. I used it and found it to be a pretty good alternative to the real stuff. Plus it was 9.95 a lb. Alliant discontinued it due to low sales, which I found puzzling so I called and they confirmed it. I still have a couple of lbs, I use it solely for my SxS 12 guage. Maybe they should consider bringing it back, it is much better than Pyrodex or T7.

The manufacturer of Black MZ was American Pioneer Powder. They are back in production and selling the same formulation of powder under their own name and the Shooter's World brand.

I use Black Mz for my range visits, when I found out that Sportsman's Warehouse was liquidating their stock, I bought as much as I could for $9.99 a pound.... still have 8 pounds. Black Mz is great and clean up is a snap....

This steel target represents the accuracy with it from my .54 cal at 50 yards with 4 shots using 50gr PBR.

50-gr-of-Black-Mz (1).jpg

Last edited:
That's not my experience at all. The stuff likes a tight fitting ball seated very hard on the powder. My last chrono showed an SD of 17 fps for velocity.
What do you use to clean with ? Have you found this powder to be corrosive ?

Patches wet with and tap followed by dry patches, followed by patch moistened with WD 40.

My guns are cleaned soon after firing, never had any corrosion regardless of powder used.
Any perceived lag time in ignition? Sorry about all the questions, but l have no experience with sub. Powders at all .

Any perceived lag time in ignition?

No.

This stuff helps eliminate hang fires and misfires regardless of powder used:

When cleaning the rifle, remove the nipple and clean the flame channel with a bristled pipe cleaner. After loading the powder, lean the rifle lock side down and give the stock a couple slaps with the palm. That allows powder to enter the flame channel.

No.

This stuff helps eliminate hang fires and misfires regardless of powder used:

When cleaning the rifle, remove the nipple and clean the flame channel with a bristled pipe cleaner. After loading the powder, lean the rifle lock side down and give the stock a couple slaps with the palm. That allows powder to enter the flame channel.
OK....thanks .

Have you tried it in a flintlock and if so, how did it work?

I do not shoot flint. That said, I doubt it would work without a kicker charge like pyrodex. I have a New Englander that I bought for peanuts and had Bobby Hoyt cut from a roached 54 to a round ball 58 twist. He did a beautiful job, but I think the channel is a little tight and it will only fire reliably with real black. I keep meaning to try it with musket caps, but haven't gotten around to it. Guessing a flinter would fail to fire with just APP powder.

Thanks brewer 12345, however it is out of stock also.

Like everything else at the moment. That said, it is helpful to have picked out what you might want in the future. That way when you see it, you can grab it secure in the knowledge you are getting the right stuff. Unfortunately, that seems to be the world we live in.

Back