• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP revolvers classification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read that many states do not consider BP revolvers as 'firearms', does anyone know of a list of states that classify as this?
mods feel free to move this, I'm uncertain if should be posted in 'non muzzleload' section.

The NRA and GOA websites have lists of all the states' laws regarding firearms. Muzzleloaders by state generally either defer to the federal laws or specify their own rules regarding them.

If there's no mention one way or the other, it's widely open to interpretation by the DA and police.

This is my understanding, at least, based on advice given by an attorney pal.

It's a sort of gray area on revolvers, Most states don't consider them muzzle loaders as far as hunting regs are concerned. The Feds treat them just as any other muzzle loader.
Jon

I believe all states classify them as firearms. If you were to hold up a bank with one, it would still be considered armed robbery. Open or concealed carry could get you into trouble depending on your states regular firearm laws, and of course if you shoot someone...

Mainly the Federal government classifies them as "antique arms" and exempts them from the paperwork and shipping restrictions placed on "modern arms".

The bulk of states simply go along with that. I tried looking for a website that gave a breakdown of the state laws but couldn't. I'm fairly sure just NJ doesn't allow the interstate shipping aspect. Some states allow felons to own them.

If you have a specific state in mind, and a specific aspect I can probably help you a bit more.

In NJ a hand gun permit is required to purchase a bp revolver or a single-shot pistola. In NJ you need a hand gun permit for a BB gun (spring or co2 powered)! :shake: :bull: :shocked2:

Dave

In Arizona, all muzzleloaders and cap & ball pistols are considered as Firearms.

The laws governing their use is the same as a center fire or rim fire gun.

That's not as bad as it sounds.
In Arizona there is no requirement for a permit or anything like one unless your selling firearms as a profession. Then the Federal regulations apply plus State requirements for a business license is required.

South Dakota clasifies them as a replica not a firearm so you can buy one over the counter just like a pair of socks, aint it great!

Unless Florida has changed the law in the last couple of years , they are not considered a firearm unless used in the commision of a crime , then they are classed as any other hand gun. :thumbsup:

In Illinois, any BP pistol or revolver is considered a firearm, and you must have a valid Ill. Firearm Owner's Identification Card in your possession to purchase, or possess the gun. There is a 3 day cooling off period for all handguns, and this applies to BP handguns as well, when purchased, either from licensed dealers, or from private individuals. The CAGE enforcement group from the Chicago Police Department periodically roams the state, looking for illegal sales, and making arrests around the state. The Accused must be booked in the local county, and that county's States Attorney- Not COOK CO.-- decided whether to prosecute the case, and, if so, what charges are to be filed. There are crooks who get people without criminal records- mostly girlfriends-- to buy guns for them in "straw purchases", and these guns find their way to street gangs in Chicago. But, for the most part, the guns that are killing people in Chicago have been stolen from honest citizens. There is NO GREAT CONSPIRACY to undermine Chicago's Gun Ban ordinance, as some of those politicians seem to think. :hmm: :shocked2: :surrender: Daley's Storm Troopers simply have not found what they believed MUST be there, downstate. :idunno: :thumbsup:

Those of us who live downstate, and have taken control of our counties, and reduced violent crime, grow tired of being accused by Da Mayor, of being criminal wannabes, or worse, being criminals, simply because we own guns. It may be politically convenient for the mayor to claim all gun owners are crooks who just have not been caught yet, when he controls the local media, but its insulting to all of us who do own guns and are law-abiding. :nono: :(

the reason I'm inquiring is that I'm contemplating makeing a journey around the country on 'blue highways' - secondary roads in a 'wagon' of sorts pulled by a mule - don't laugh, it's being down by others now. sort of a modern-day gypsy you may say. and haveing a couple Rem '58's would be mighty comforting if a 'close encounter' perchance developed.
seems to reason that a 'non-firearm' would be less 'troublesome' to any smart-ass cop that happened to stick his nose in my bizz.

N.Y. used to only regard BP as a "weapon" if all the components needed to fire it were present.
That's "present" not "loaded" :shake:
So having a BP "gun" was a "non-gun", unless you had ball, cap & powder. (wads didn't count). This may have changed since I left the State though :idunno:

Smokin' NJ treating bb guns as firearms is actually a step forward. For years, they were banned completely. Back in the early 70's, NJ had a really obnoxious Attorney General named Sills, and he started prosecuting bp pistol owners with a vengeance. One guy won a state supreme court decision that bp revolvers were not firearms within the meaning of NJ law. The legislators so disliked this AG that they didn't give him a law for about 18 months...during that time period, we Jerseymen could buy one without purchase permit! I still treasure my .36 Navy Arms Remington, bought then. When the legislature finally gave Sills his law,they furthr annoyed him by classifying BB guns as firearms, so they could be bought and owned...of course, when my son got a bb in his hand, it was treated as a firearms wound...luckily, the cop investigating said, "oh for pete's sake..I've still got one in my foot from when I was 12"...Hank

Blizzard of 93 said:
the reason I'm inquiring is that I'm contemplating makeing a journey around the country on 'blue highways' - secondary roads in a 'wagon' of sorts pulled by a mule - don't laugh, it's being down by others now. sort of a modern-day gypsy you may say. and haveing a couple Rem '58's would be mighty comforting if a 'close encounter' perchance developed.
seems to reason that a 'non-firearm' would be less 'troublesome' to any smart-ass cop that happened to stick his nose in my bizz.

Ah, should have said that in the first place. Sounds cool BTW, a little odd, but life is odd so why not.

2 rules of thumb on interstate travel.

1. a locked gun unloaded during a "continuous peaceful journey" across a state is pretty much always legal.

2. The concealed carry route. If you get a permit and it is valid in the states you travel through, then you should be fine. But it really should stay concealed.

Open carry is a mess, some states allow it, some states (such as Missouri) allow it but have counties that do not. Cross a county line and you have trouble. However in Missouri you can have a loaded gun anywhere in your car legally. Not sure that would translate to a mule pulled wagon or not.

I really don't want to encourage you to break any law, however, if you are going in period dress and you belong to any organization for muzzleloader arms or reenactments and have an ID card from them, and are reasonable polite you *probably* will be ok, or have the ability to talk your way out of trouble in most states. Especially in the rural areas.

utah is over the counter buy, no lin. req. just pay the $ and its yours, open carry is up to the city ord, each is dif. were i live its ok the other city's around me do req a permit. :idunno: just a way of getting money out of you, but you can have a loaded fire arm in you vech, so i think you would be ok passing through.

Hawaii doesn't know what they want to classify it as but you need to get a "permit to acquire" from the PD before you can purchase one from a Gun Store and manufacturers won't ship to Hawaii.

Back