• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Optimum Revolver Nipple Orifice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been trying to find the answer to this question with no luck. Rifle nipples? No problem - .024-.028" is the answer there.

I'd think that revolvers should be about the same or maybe even less since the flash channel is short and straight into the charge. Has anyone researched this topic and posted results?

I'm fairly new to BP and hadn't checked my revolvers till now, but the common viewpoint is that OEM nipples are junk and need to be replaced even before the first use. So I measured the Slix shots in a new-to-me pistol and they're right at .037". Huh? They evidently come new with an orifice that large, but why?

What's the optimum orifice for revolver nipples?

With rifle nipples, orifices are all over the map with only a few manufacturers getting it right. Just because the slix shots work doesn't necessarily mean the orifices are the optimum size. At what point will the hammer blow back on a revolver? Probably depends on the powder charge, orifice size, hammer spring and projectile weight. Will a revolver hammer EVEN blow back? I seem to recall a story about a Walker being charged to the max and having the hammer blow back.

I don't think there's any question that the larger the orifice, the less pressure behind the ball/bullet. So I'd think it would be valuable info for those wanting highest velocity, to have the smallest opening which still allows good ignition.

Another thought - does the cap seal the nipple well enough that there's no leakage, thus no loss of pressure?

Latest posts

Back