• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Butter ingredients

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best idea would be to buy some real borebutter. Take a sample and send it to a lab so they can run it through the chromatography machine and they can tell you exactly what it consists of. This process isn't expensive at all. It's your best bet if you really want to know. I'm surprised no one has done this yet.

It could be done but I wonder why. One can mix up a huge batch of far superior lube in the kitchen in a couple of hours using easily found ingredients.

I made my own "bore butter". Nothing else but bees wax and olive oil. But not the "good" olive oil for the salade, or for the pan. I use the high raffinaded cheap olive oil. It is good for percussion revolvers in front of the bullet, and good for protection of the skin.
Depending on the mixture (more or less oil), I made bore butter for the winter and for the summer. No colorant, no other ingredients!
It does not work as good as spit on patches (chewing patches for a while tastes a little bit strange) , but I think its good enough.
From a veterinarian I got some "hoof milk". Don´t know the ingredientes, but it works really well for patches.

Does anyone know the ingredients in T/C's Bore Butter?
I read some articles but they contradicted. One said it was beeswax, crisco, and canola oil. Another said it was beeswax, olive oil and wintergreen.
Anyone know what it is REALLY made of??
I melted some today to lube some patches and it seemed like the olive oil/beeswax recipe is about right.
I make my own lube with beeswax, crisco, and canola oil and the consistency is much different.

Huntin
Not sure where I got this. By volume 70% Crisco, 20% Olive oil, 10% beeswax. Candle scent in wax or oil form. Been meaning to try this, but have not.

I still, after a couple days of research cannot find anywhere what the ingredients to Bore Butter are.
I looked for a MSDS on it but since it is non-toxic it does not have one. The tube just says it is non-toxic, food grade, and biodegradeable. Argh!
I'll figure this stuff out if it's the last thing I do!
I need a laboratory and a top notch chemist.

P.S. I'm looking for a good source of cheap beeswax but can't find any under $6-7 a pound plus shipping.
Does anyone know of a cheap supplier of beeswax?

Huntin
Find a honey bee keeper. They will have plenty and sell it. It will smell like honey, an extra incentive.

Does anyone know the ingredients in T/C's Bore Butter?
I read some articles but they contradicted. One said it was beeswax, crisco, and canola oil. Another said it was beeswax, olive oil and wintergreen.
Anyone know what it is REALLY made of??
I melted some today to lube some patches and it seemed like the olive oil/beeswax recipe is about right.
I make my own lube with beeswax, crisco, and canola oil and the consistency is much different.

Huntin
Chapstick with a smell

Latest posts

Back