• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss barrel thickness.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentu

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Does anyone know how thick a Blunderbuss barrel is? I have looked the forum and web over in hopes of finding some barrel specs but can’t find any. Thank!

The thickness will be different as defined grade of the steel like C40, C48 or C60 steel (for example)...
If you don't know the grade you can't calculate the thikness depending on the quality of the steel and the pressures... :(

I’m going to use some 4140 DOM with a 1/8 wall. I’ll make a tailstock tapered mandrel for the lathe. I think I will be able to heat it and flare it with the tailstock.

I’m going to use some 4140 DOM with a 1/8 wall.

Ain't no way I would use a 1/8 inch thick wall DOM tube to make a barrel, even if it was made out of 4140 steel.

Over 150 years ago the military determined the minimum barrel wall thickness in the area of the breech needed to be at least .200 thick to be safe to shoot. Even fairly low pressure, modern 20 and 12 guage shotguns and sigher pressure .22 rifles have barrel walls that are over .240 thick at the breech.

I won't even touch the subject of using Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) tubing except to say, it is NOT seamless tubing. It is flat sheet metal that is rolled and arc welded along its length. Drawing it over the mandrel only smooths out the weld bead so it isn't visible. :(

I decided to use it to see if I can flare it. I was able to get a couple 20ga barrel blanks that have a .220 thick walls.

Latest posts

Back