• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blue Ridge Percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthompson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking with some interest at the Blue Ridge Percussion rifles sold by Cabela's. The one that I am interrested in is the 36cal.
I would like to have one for plinking and small game hunting. My question is this: Does anyone have any experience with these rifle's or own one that they can shed some information about? If you can, I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your time.

The Blue Ridge is the same rifle as the Pedersoli Frontier rifle. I don't have one but several friends of mine have them in different calibers. The only real problem with them is the small patent breech chamber. They have to have the chamber thoroughly cleaned or else they have a tendency to plug up.

A person in our club is having machine work done on the breech to enlarge the chamber. His is a .45. Last year another friend of mine won the state percussion match with a .36 Blue Ridge.

I've got the flinter in 50 cal (actually mine is labeled Pedersoli Frontier). Great rifle, well made and accurate.

The only real hassle for me is the fixed breech rather than hooked. I'd prefer to be able to pull the barrel completely free from the rifle for cleaning, but it's easy to work around, and I do go ahead and remove the whole assembly a couple of times a year.

Mmmm. One other thing, but purely aesthetic. It sure seems like there's extra wood out front and I don't particularly care for the finish. When I get the free time and ambition, I'm going to rework the stock to my own tastes. You might like it just fine.

I'd have no qualms about picking up another in 32 or 36 caliber, expecially at Cabelas sale price rather than full retail. I've been looking for a used on, but as that price keeps dropping the temptation to buy new is growing.

The 36 caliber I have had for about 6 years is both fun and accurate. For plinking and small game up to and including coyotes, PRB, over powder wad, 30 grs goex 3F. On a good day, one ragged hole at 25 yards. Only modification made is filing the front sight to regulate point of aim. No problems with the breech. About 12 shots without in between shot cleaning before consistency drops off. So, clean with wet patches every 10 shots or so. This means a full day hunting without cleaning. If using a brush in cleaning, be careful to NOT get it stuck in the patent. If it is really stuck/broken off, the breechplug has to be removed.

Have been satisfied with mine, it is going rabbit hunting tomorrow unless this snow storm gets nasty.

I have one in .36 and it's a flinter. I have done a lot of cosmetic changes to it. The sights are horrible. The front blade needs to be replaced and I just did that to mine with a silver blade. Much better. The original blade is thicker at the base than the top. So, as you file it down, you lose sunlight between the blade and rear-sight notch. I also think the rear notch needs to be opened a bit. You may consider cutting off the buckhorns for small game hunting. They just get in the way.
Having said all that, the rifle shoots fantastic! It's my best off-hand shooter so far.

Yep..your right Trench! those buck horns got to go! I cut mine off as soon as I got the rifle.
Other than that its a Fine little shooter !
There aint much choice on the production market when it comes to .36 or .32

Back