• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One patch out of 5

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, I recently purchased a Traditions Woodsman 50 cal percussion. Only had a couple of chances to shoot for a few minutes each. So, I only have about 10-12 shots down the barrel. Just getting used to it w prb and 60 grn t7 2f it looks to have good accuracy potential. Last time out I collected my patches [Traditions pre-lubed .015] and they all looked good except for one that had a 3/8" slice a bit more towards the muzzle end of the patch. Edges were slightly frayed but other than that, I could have flipped em over and used em again. I do swab w a light spray of alcohol on a clean patch between shots. Any meaning to the one cut patch ? Shut up and keep shooting ? Steel wool or scotch brite to the bore/muzzle ? Maybe just a burr at the muzzle ? It seems to have a very smooth bore w no noticeable tight or loose spots. It does load a bit hard w the .015 patch. Not brutal, but I do have to short stroke the rod to get the ball to powder. No real pounding, but it is not sliding in like a greased pig either. Thinner patch? This ignoramus awaits your wisdom. Thanks in advance. SW

I personally don't think that retrieved patches should be the final arbiter on how a rifle shoots. There are a bunch of other factors and I'd be looking more like accuracy. I have one rifle with a sewer pipe for a bore and what I have found of the patches are pretty much shredded lint BUT, with round ball and wiping between shots, it will shoot as well or better than many guns with "pristine" bores.

I have the Woodsman Hawken .50 cal in the flintlock. Mine is fairly accurate, have not shot prb's through it yet. Have been breaking it in using Lee REAL 320 gr bullets. Have some nasty rain n cold front coming through today. When it passes i will go out to my shooting table with rb's n patching to see if mine does the cut/slice. Bet its a burr n shooting it will wear it down n smooth

While you are waiting for the weather to pass it's a good opportunity to run a Scotchbrite pad down the bore. Might take out the rough spots.
Good excuse to sit and watch Andy Grifith reruns while you polish it. ;)

Original poster:
Try a smaller ball/ thicker patch combo. Like a .490 with a .18 patch NOT pre lubed.

All was good til the Andy Griffith reruns ewww ! I cleaned the bore of mine, then started shooting conicals with it. I did not find any burrs, of course now after about 45-50 conicals through it. Mine may not cut a patch, i have the new box of 100 .490 rb's. I may as well see what my rock sparker will do with them out at 50 yds. It they don't show promise at 50 your wasting time n money out at 75-100 yard group shooting

Having 3 of these rifles, you're patches are too thin. Up it to .018" and you'll see a big improvement in group size and recovered patch quality.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1669655595224.jpg
    FB_IMG_1669655595224.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1631930646627.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631930646627.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
While you are waiting for the weather to pass it's a good opportunity to run a Scotchbrite pad down the bore. Might take out the rough spots.
Good excuse to sit and watch Andy Grifith reruns while you polish it. ;)

Original poster:
Try a smaller ball/ thicker patch combo. Like a .490 with a .18 patch NOT pre lubed.
Thanks, I am using a .490 ball but I will try your 2nd thought. I don't have pics bc I did not think much of the one cut patch when I threw them in the trash. Brilliant !

Having 3 of these rifles, you're patches are too thin. Up it to .018" and you'll see a big improvement in group size and recovered patch quality.
I agree, .018" pillow ticking lubed with Mink oil produces excellent groups from my Traditions Hawkens.

I agree, .018" pillow ticking lubed with Mink oil produces excellent groups from my Traditions Hawkens.
Gents, as I mentioned, I am already having to arm wrestle a .490 ball w a .015 lubed patch in a clean barrel. I don't doubt for a minute that this works in your rifles. But having watched far too many expert shots w ML rifles gently push a ball home w hardly a strain, I am not sure how making it even tighter will assist me. Also, I did not say accuracy was deficient, but appeared to have good potential. No great groups but around 3' at 45 yds experimenting w loads, off of a shaky table while I am still not used to the trigger. I have shot enough to know that those few groups are more me than the rifle. I do appreciate your time in responding but am a bit bewildered by this advice. Thanks, SW

Hi folks, I recently purchased a Traditions Woodsman 50 cal percussion. Only had a couple of chances to shoot for a few minutes each. So, I only have about 10-12 shots down the barrel. Just getting used to it w prb and 60 grn t7 2f it looks to have good accuracy potential. Last time out I collected my patches [Traditions pre-lubed .015] and they all looked good except for one that had a 3/8" slice a bit more towards the muzzle end of the patch. Edges were slightly frayed but other than that, I could have flipped em over and used em again. I do swab w a light spray of alcohol on a clean patch between shots. Any meaning to the one cut patch ? Shut up and keep shooting ? Steel wool or scotch brite to the bore/muzzle ? Maybe just a burr at the muzzle ? It seems to have a very smooth bore w no noticeable tight or loose spots. It does load a bit hard w the .015 patch. Not brutal, but I do have to short stroke the rod to get the ball to powder. No real pounding, but it is not sliding in like a greased pig either. Thinner patch? This ignoramus awaits your wisdom. Thanks in advance. SW
I just noticed you used T 7, does your Hawken get a crud ring ? Mine does at 60 gr n messes with my patches. I had to use hot water n some Dawn detergent to get it out of the bore

Gents, as I mentioned, I am already having to arm wrestle a .490 ball w a .015 lubed patch in a clean barrel. I don't doubt for a minute that this works in your rifles. But having watched far too many expert shots w ML rifles gently push a ball home w hardly a strain, I am not sure how making it even tighter will assist me. Also, I did not say accuracy was deficient, but appeared to have good potential. No great groups but around 3' at 45 yds experimenting w loads, off of a shaky table while I am still not used to the trigger. I have shot enough to know that those few groups are more me than the rifle. I do appreciate your time in responding but am a bit bewildered by this advice. Thanks, SW
Honestly if you have a hard time getting a .015 patched ball down the bore, you are either very weak or got something else going on.

I use .020 patches and they glide right down.

Most likely your pre lubed patches are poorly lubed.

Are you using the factory Derlin rod? That flex manure trap will make loading more difficult.

I just noticed you used T 7, does your Hawken get a crud ring ? Mine does at 60 gr n messes with my patches. I had to use hot water n some Dawn detergent to get it out of the bore
I probably have not shot it enough to really know, but the protocol I have followed since starting w my son in law's TC Hawken may be helping w that. Since I intend to hunt w it, and that always starts w a clean barrel, I swipe between shots w alcohol I keep in a small spray bottle from my optometrist. Soapy water, spit or even windex will freeze solid during hunting season where I live. After that, I run my next lubed patch down the bore w a jag to help pre-lube the barrel a bit. This patch comes back up quite clean enough to use for the next ball. I just flip it over when setting the ball so clean side hits the rifling. As I mentioned, my Traditions Hawken has a tighter bore and this method seems to help. The TC is more forgiving and I attribute that to its long history of use. I might let a bit of T 7 burn on a piece of metal and see if the alcohol actually cuts the residue well or if it is just the damp swipe that may be helping. Also, per Swan Shot, I intend to add some avocado oil to my lubed patches or make my own w coconut grease which I have in the cupboard. The factory lubed patches seem a bit dry. After researching the issues of varying bore/rifling tightness described by quite a few experts, I have concluded that my failure to eat my Wheaties is not the problem. Ames' useful comment on procuring a .485 mold indicates that I don't have to be imagining what I describe. I do have a delron rod I can use but have been able to seat the ball w the much maligned Traditions noodle as well. Thanks all. SW

I probably have not shot it enough to really know, but the protocol I have followed since starting w my son in law's TC Hawken may be helping w that. Since I intend to hunt w it, and that always starts w a clean barrel, I swipe between shots w alcohol I keep in a small spray bottle from my optometrist. Soapy water, spit or even windex will freeze solid during hunting season where I live. After that, I run my next lubed patch down the bore w a jag to help pre-lube the barrel a bit. This patch comes back up quite clean enough to use for the next ball. I just flip it over when setting the ball so clean side hits the rifling. As I mentioned, my Traditions Hawken has a tighter bore and this method seems to help. The TC is more forgiving and I attribute that to its long history of use. I might let a bit of T 7 burn on a piece of metal and see if the alcohol actually cuts the residue well or if it is just the damp swipe that may be helping. Also, per Swan Shot, I intend to add some avocado oil to my lubed patches or make my own w coconut grease which I have in the cupboard. The factory lubed patches seem a bit dry. After researching the issues of varying bore/rifling tightness described by quite a few experts, I have concluded that my failure to eat my Wheaties is not the problem. Ames' useful comment on procuring a .485 mold indicates that I don't have to be imagining what I describe. I do have a delron rod I can use but have been able to seat the ball w the much maligned Traditions noodle as well. Thanks all. SW
Steve, if this hasn’t been already said, try Track of the Wolf’s mink oil lube or make your own Crisco/beeswax/oil lube. Also a muzzle crown polish with 220/320/400 grit under firm thumb pressure will ease the wear on the patches.

Back