• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One patch out of 5

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having 3 of these rifles, you're patches are too thin. Up it to .018" and you'll see a big improvement in group size and recovered patch quality.
Wow Frontier, not to hijack my own thread, but you get an early ML season ! Nice velvety buck. Our new season is in December. Our deer look like that in July ! SW

Hi folks, I recently purchased a Traditions Woodsman 50 cal percussion. Only had a couple of chances to shoot for a few minutes each. So, I only have about 10-12 shots down the barrel. Just getting used to it w prb and 60 grn t7 2f it looks to have good accuracy potential. Last time out I collected my patches [Traditions pre-lubed .015] and they all looked good except for one that had a 3/8" slice a bit more towards the muzzle end of the patch. Edges were slightly frayed but other than that, I could have flipped em over and used em again. I do swab w a light spray of alcohol on a clean patch between shots. Any meaning to the one cut patch ? Shut up and keep shooting ? Steel wool or scotch brite to the bore/muzzle ? Maybe just a burr at the muzzle ? It seems to have a very smooth bore w no noticeable tight or loose spots. It does load a bit hard w the .015 patch. Not brutal, but I do have to short stroke the rod to get the ball to powder. No real pounding, but it is not sliding in like a greased pig either. Thinner patch? This ignoramus awaits your wisdom. Thanks in advance. SW
I have always found tight fit tight groups.

I have a Woodsman and it is my most accurate and reliable. Mine likes a .490 ball with a 0.018 ticking patch that's heavily lubed or at least soaked in spit. For multiple shots, that ball isn't getting down any other way. Tight fit shoots well. I've gotten the ITX balls, measuring .487 (extremely hard tungsten/iron ball), to fit well with a 0.010 patch and they shoot just as good as any other tight-fitting combo.

I've mostly transitioned to .480 balls and 0.022 denim patches. The lube hardly seems to matter for me. Anything slick does the trick. At the range, I'll use whatever I have on-hand. Hunting, I prefer bear grease/beeswax because it doesn't dry out & helps keep patches from smoldering after the shot (fire risk). But anything will make a good group. More important for me is having good ignition so there's no delay. Real black powder and homemade caps were a game-changer in that department. Pyrodex & commercial caps were accurate but less reliable and sometimes gave me hang fires. Also, keeping my charges to 75 grains or less for roundball helped too.

Honestly if you have a hard time getting a .015 patched ball down the bore, you are either very weak or got something else going on.

I use .020 patches and they glide right down.

Most likely your pre lubed patches are poorly lubed.

Are you using the factory Derlin rod? That flex manure trap will make loading more difficult.
Btw, I didn't want mention this and be accused of seeking sympathy. The train accident when I was twelve was all my fault. Nobody owes me any sympathy. I do have plenty of upper body strength from cranking this wheelchair around, but between fighting the oxygen bottle for room and trying not to spill my colostomy bag, it's really tough to cram the ball home from such a low angle. Does anyone make a battery powered ramrod that can affix to the end of the barrel ? I know that they make grease guns something like that. I never foresaw this difficulty when I got into ML. Just wanted to roll out into the state land by my house and shoot a deer once in awhile. Kinda thought it would be like using a pea shooter when I was a kid, before my mishap. Maybe I should try archery. Thanks for all the help. SW

For what it's worth torn patches usually get torn by starting the prb into an unsmoothed crown. Smooth that crown and go to a thicker, well lubed patch. My .50 likes a .490" ball with a .024" canvas patch wet with Hoppes BP Lube; really nice and wet but just not drippy. When I use TOW mink oil I want the patch saturated with that lube.

If you need a hammer in the possibles bag, something is wrong. I use very thin patches made of either silk or linen from recycled stuff I have around the house (silk pillowcase and dress shirt)... seven to eight thousandths in most of my guns. They look like manure when I find them on the snow, but most of the guns shoot just fine. I use T/C Bore Butter and/or olive oil most of the time. I'm not a precision shooter, but I can hit a gallon jug at fifty yards.

If you need a hammer in the possibles bag, something is wrong. I use very thin patches made of either silk or linen from recycled stuff I have around the house (silk pillowcase and dress shirt)... seven to eight thousandths in most of my guns. They look like manure when I find them on the snow, but most of the guns shoot just fine. I use T/C Bore Butter and/or olive oil most of the time. I'm not a precision shooter, but I can hit a gallon jug at fifty yards.
Thank you Dale. That is useful info. I'm sure you are a better shot than you admit to. And no, I do not need a hammer. It was a comparative thing to the very loose bore of the TC Hawken I had been working with. I have added coconut oil [solid] to my pre- lubed patches. They seemed quite dry. I also used some 600 grit emory to clean up the sharp rifling at the muzzle and then ran some very fine steel wool down the bore until it felt slick. It never felt rough, but the rifling may have had a few burrs and been sharp on the edges. All of these things were suggested by others here and have made loading much easier. The rifle I have is quite accurate, is shooting great and I will try some thinner patches as you suggest and see what they do to accuracy. Also, I think I said to you that I would post some pics of my son-in-law's stainless, half round, TC Hawken. I just haven't had time but hope to get to it fairly soon. Thanks again. SW

I agree with others that have suggested a different lube, the pre-lubed patches may not have what it takes. I have the Hawken Woodsman also and shoot .495 balls with .015-.018 patches. Once started with a short starter the balls go down easy enough. I have been using water with a smidge of dawn detergent as a lube for a few years now and it is the ticket. For winter hunting you may want a tallow based lube if you fear a frozen water based option. The cutting may either be a sharp edge of the new rifleing or as mentioned, the short starter pinching the patch against the barrel. These are great all around rifles. I have other options with longer barrels but this is the one I take in the woods.

Tight fit is the name of the game for sure. Unless it isnt. Have reported before I have a Bobcat .36 that was nearly sent for a .40 rebore until by chance one day I shot it with insane thin patch just saturated with bore butter and got my squirell grouping. Will not shoot anything else....at all....period. So the real saying we all need to remember, and it an oldie but goodie is

ALL GUNS REQUIRE A DIFFERENT CHARGE COMBO.

Me and my pop had Cabelas rifles with consequitive serail numbers (so im guessing they were bout as close as you get to the same rifle). They both liked marekdly different loads for best accuracy. Just play with it and you will find a load for your rifle.

And yer accident was a bummer but planned before you were here so I am glad to see yer with us in the field! Welcome at my camp fire any day!

Back