• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Analogy explained,,Blaming the the damage on the Pyrodex not on the improper cleaning of the barrel,,you didn't properly clean the barrel,your statement, causing the damage not the Pyrodex.
The "Witty" Explained: The glass didn't cause me to get drunk and not feel well in the morning,,the fact I used the glass to hold the alcohol I drank in excess is the cause.I caused it....not the glass.
so there you have it,,one shooter with problems with Pyrodex and one with out a problem with Pyrodex,,It's a tie.
Have you had anymore problems,now that you properly clean your rifles???
You shooting Rock or Cap??I'am a cap shooter, might be the difference.

Sperit de bois said:
so there you have it,,one shooter with problems with Pyrodex and one with out a problem with Pyrodex,,It's a tie.

I`m another shooter that`s had problems with Pyrodex I`ve never had with real powder. I started shooting muzzleloaders with black powder, then switched to Pyrodex because it was easier to get. I never liked it from the start because I always had ignition issues and it seemed like even though I`d clean my barrels till patches came out clean, when I`d check them again in a day or so I`d have rust in my bores :cursing:. Anyway I got tired of the stuff and went back to using real black powder and guess what, the problems went away. I`m blaming the powder.

My guns are also caplocks.

SgtSchutzen said:
Anyway I got tired of the stuff and went back to using real black powder and guess what, the problems went away.

Me too, only i started out usin pyro, ignition problems extrordinair, got some goex gifted to me, problems went away, at least the ones w/ ignition.

Here's a method that has worked for myself and friends , ring a local shop tell them you will be driving in to get a lot of gear and wont to call to make sure they have the items in stock, go through a long list of items you know they carry then ask about the black powder , when they reply they dont carry any appoligise and say not to worry about it . Allways be polite and get your buddies in on it , repeat as necc. and soon enough every shop will stock real bp :wink: :thumbsup:

Up until about 3 years ago all I used was Pyrodex and never had a single problem of any kind with it in shotgun, TC hawkins, and pistols/revolvers.
I still have some and will use it when I feel like it but right now and for the last few years I've been using Goex and then a bunch of Swiss. It's all good and stinks and I wish I could shoot all day every day! :grin:

rightwinger said:
Hi All,
Im getting my GPR kit built, and just went to the shop and got everything I will need to shoot it except the FFG black powder. I live in IL about 25 miles south of Chicago, and none of the shops around here have it. There is a place about 4 hrs ride from me that has it, but thats a pretty long drive. Cabelas has Triple 7, and Pyrodex, but from the post I've read on this forum, black powder is still the best. Is real black powder worth the 4hr drive, or should I settle for Triple 7, or Pyrodex, Im shooting a .54cal GPR, and a .50cal T/C Hawken?
Thanks,
Paul :confused:

IMO you should avoid P-dex like the plague.
You are best off with BP. Next best is T-7. It is unlikely the T-7 will shoot as accurately as black and you should use 10-15% reduced charges compared to BP. You may have ignition problems. Its really designed for primer ignition inlines.
I don't know what T7 has for a shelf life. P-dex is poor. BP will last forever if kept dry.
T7 is the least corrosive P-dex is by far the worst.

Dan

I've never had a problem with Pyrodex either. Never in shooting or cleaning. I now have some of the real stuff and as long as I have it, that's what I will use but if I have trouble getting it, I won't hesitate to use pyrodex if that's all I can get.

At $25 a pound, why would anybody shoot fake powder :cursing: .
You guys are lucky in the USA, that you can order from people like Graff & Sons, or Powder Inc.
Twenty five pounds of powder is cheaper than a very cheap rifle, and yet in most cases give years of shooting.
Driving for 4 hours at a cost of $60 :shocked2: in gas makes home delivery of 25 lbs. of BP quite cheap. :thumbsup: .
Save your beer money for two weeks and get 25 lbs. of powder. :stir:
Fred

I've never had a problem with Pyrodex either. Never in shooting or cleaning.

If I ever let one of my guns rust up because I used Pyrodex in it, I certainly wouldn't admit it. :( Let alone that I let it ruin a gun. :shocked2:
Maybe you guys that do should take up basketball or something. It's easier to keep a basket ball from rusting away! :grin:

This discussion prompted me to buy 5 lb of Graf's 3f. Came out to less than $20 a pound with the fees. I didn't even need to leave the house. I have plenty of 2f but was down to half a pound of 3f for my pistols. Easy enough.

Scott

Good for you Rightwinger, I applaud your choice. I have not had any experience with the Graf powder yet but even if its no good it will better than a substitute.
I am amazed at the number of posts about not being able to get real powder. Maybe some people are paranoid about ordering it on line or it might blow up their house or something I dunno.
You did the right thing.

Scott

Ive tried it all and really like Pyrodex... I like KIK too.. my buddy likes his 777; IF you can do it I'd try it all looking for THE Most accurate load and then stock up.

Yeah, okay, for whatever it's worth....this whole conversation seems to be all to reminiscent to me with regard to a "religious debate" that I have been dealing with my whole 30+ year career in information technologies... "What programming language is best?"

Well, programming languages are like tools in a tool box... you chose the right tool for the right problem your trying to solve..

Am I comparing at this whole (Pyrodex, T-7, Swiss, Goex) debate with the same filter. Is this inappropriate?

That being said, I think that each propellent has it's own physical characteristics that can make it a viable solution for a specific shooting scenario(s)... What I would like to see is more forum collaboration around the technical specifications of the different shooting scenarios that folks are encountering that could and possibly benefit us all.

Just me rambling... :wink:

If my memory serves me when Pyrodex first came along there was a shortage of black powder and it was viewed as a possiable alternative if we became unable to get the real deal. In the 70's you could not get black powder many places. this was about the time that the Fed's came up with the magazine requirements for retailers.

Hey I don't use them but if it ever becomes all I can get it will beat nothing. Geo. T.

Back