• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Contacted Hodgdon regarding cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been reading here and other places on the web, watching videos too, regarding cleaning of a cap and ball revolver. I plan on using Pyrodex and the info from the web is, at best, contradictory…so I decided to go to the manufacturer. Below is the response that I got from Hodgdon’s tech support. My intent is not to start conflicting cleaning thread but to simply pass on the information that I got.

For Black powder , Pyrodex or Triple 7 powder you will clean the guns with hot soapy water. Avoid normal petroleum based gun cleaners. I would first remove the majority of the fouling with hot soapy water.

As far as a protectant or cleaner I use Ballistol.
Ballistol is a product that can be used as a straight up cleaner or mixed with water. Ballistol has a slightly alkaline base and will help neutralize any of the acidic corrosive residue left behind. It is sold in aerosol and straight liquid.

First I would clean with hot soapy water to remove the majority of the fouling.

Then get a plastic tub large enough to submerge the revolver in , make up a 10% ballistol / water solution and soak the entire gun in it. remove the grips first. ( a squirt bottle of this mix works great for cleaning in the field) between shot strings. You can keep this solution for several cleaning sessions.

Then spray the entire gun with straight ballistol for long term storage.

Use a degreaser like birchwood casey gunblaster to remove the ballistol from the cylinder and nipples prior to the next shooting session.

Hello, warm water with a little dawn will get the gun squeaky clean. once completely dry I the spray with ballistol, mop the barrel and cylinder. I keep a rag just for use with ballistoll for the purpose of wiping down after cleaning. I use black powder and Pyrodex and my guns are rust free. I have not had the need to remove the ballistol with a degreaser prior to the next shooting session.

Am I wrong? I send a dry patch down to keep anything from entering the breach then patch with dawn and water after 5 or 6 patch changes I patch until they come out clean. I pull the once dry now wet patch by twisting with a patch puller. I send a patch to wipe and dry bore down to the breach. I pull the liner use a long wood Q-tip to clean passage (cva breach on a flintlock } clean the liner reassemble .Finally send a bore butter patch down to breach then a quick pass with a clean dry patch and put up till next shooting session I use 4f swiss in the pan 2f swiss or trip7 behind a.15 patch .490 ball 50 cal Traditions Hawken flintlock. Any opinions right or wrong?

I don’t believe any of these posts mention the need to completely disassemble the revolver, in fact it seems at least one shooter only removes the grips (requires some disassembly). I’ve had my 1851 Navy for 40 years and hate taking it apart - I can clean two rifles in the time I spend on this revolver - so I don’t shoot it often. I’m pretty sure that just soaking it in Dawn /water or even Ballistol w/water without many patches and a brass brush on steel components won’t get it clean. I really like to hear that I’m wrong and there’s a better/quicker way. Jeff

I don’t believe any of these posts mention the need to completely disassemble the revolver, in fact it seems at least one shooter only removes the grips (requires some disassembly). I’ve had my 1851 Navy for 40 years and hate taking it apart - I can clean two rifles in the time I spend on this revolver - so I don’t shoot it often. I’m pretty sure that just soaking it in Dawn /water or even Ballistol w/water without many patches and a brass brush on steel components won’t get it clean. I really like to hear that I’m wrong and there’s a better/quicker way. Jeff
I remove the grips from my revolver, and put the entire gun in my ultra sonic cleaner for 30 min. Remove the gun, blow it dry with a compressor, scrub the barrel with a brush to remove any leading and lube as needed. Replace the grips and good to go for the next shooting session.

Am I wrong? I send a dry patch down to keep anything from entering the breach then patch with dawn and water after 5 or 6 patch changes I patch until they come out clean. I pull the once dry now wet patch by twisting with a patch puller. I send a patch to wipe and dry bore down to the breach. I pull the liner use a long wood Q-tip to clean passage (cva breach on a flintlock } clean the liner reassemble .Finally send a bore butter patch down to breach then a quick pass with a clean dry patch and put up till next shooting session I use 4f swiss in the pan 2f swiss or trip7 behind a.15 patch .490 ball 50 cal Traditions Hawken flintlock. Any opinions right or wrong?

I would omit the Bore Butter and use diluted Ballistol. One part Ballistol to 4 parts water( or Break-Free oil for a preservative.
I use 70% isopropyl alcohol in place of the hot soapy water. Must be the 70%, not the 90%.
Of course you can buy the 90% and dilute it some.

I would omit the Bore Butter and use diluted Ballistol. One part Ballistol to 4 parts water( or Break-Free oil for a preservative.
I use 70% isopropyl alcohol in place of the hot soapy water. Must be the 70%, not the 90%.
Why must it be the 70%? Is it because the 90% evaporated too quickly?

If you were to use 50% alchol you would even have less evaporation , of alcohol , the water evaporation would remain the same , if used under same conditions.

I find cleaning my revolver soooo tedious that I haven't shot it in years! That and I don't particularly enjoy shooting it.

But a family member brought their revolver too me for help because he had cleaned it without removing the nipples and put it away. A few days soaking in kroil allowed removal so that's all I got in the knowledge base. 😀

Back