• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter12

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm getting back into Flintlock smooth bore or rifle shooting. I was looking who still sold real black powder near me in North East, Maryland, No one , then i looked at the cost of it, Man it is expencive to have it shipped from BPS who has it and it ain't cheap.Do any forum members know some place even 60 miles from me. I live close to the Delaware and Pa boarder.I'd rather pick it up myself. I can't use the substitute powder in a flint lock, Right ? :confused:

hunter12 said:
I can't use the substitute powder in a flint lock, Right ?

In general, the only way to use a substitute in a flintlock is with a small amount of real black put down the bore first followed by the sub. To me, that adds too much complexity...I don't want to carry around two types of powder for a load, much less three if I'm using 4F prime to boot.

Last time I bought powder, I just ponied up and purchased 25# from Powder, Inc. I think for a mixed batch (2F, 3F, and 1 # of 4F)of KiK, I paid something a little less than $14/LB shipped to my door. At the time, I was buying a pound of goex at a time from a small gun shop about 50 miles from me and paying $28 a pound. Add the cost of a 100 mile round trip and it piles on more $ to the equation.

Black Powder is probably not going to get cheaper and now I'm set for some time. BUT to do that you do have to have a good feel for what you'll be using in the future so you don't end up with a bunch of powder you cannot dispose of if you don't want it later. Even a 10# buy reduces the cost per pound a lot and would be worth it IMO.

fort chambers in Chambersburg pa. sells goex and they will sell it by the 25 lb. box it is lose in a bag. cheaper that way. call ahead so they can have it at the store to pick up. they don't keep that much at the store.

Call Dennis Kelley 301-421-0847 he is in your state, if you do not want it shipped.

fort chambers in Chambersburg pa.

Wow on vacation We visited them. I bought my 16 ga fowler from them it was signed Stan Holenbaugh.

The bore was slightly pitted but shiny. I have shot many birds with this gun and one deer. Lock was a sparker!!!

I had to sell the gun to pay for the wife's first new knee. I miss the gun but glad the wife can walk better.

Good to see a shop as good as theirs is still around. Thanks

yes they are still alive and well. the shop is about 20 miles form my place.

Don't just look for it on the shelf but ask the counter person as most times its in the backroom in a fireproof locker

nhmoose said:
fort chambers in Chambersburg pa.

Wow on vacation We visited them. I bought my 16 ga fowler from them it was signed Stan Holenbaugh./quote]

I haven't seen Stan for a few years. He had a table at Lewisburg (18th Century Artisans Show) and at the KRA. I recall a J P Beck that he had built for his daughter, and it was a beauty!

Latest posts

Back