• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgreek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to build a storage container for black powder? Maybe a site that has plans? I need a container that will hold 25-30 1 pound black powder cans. I really don't want to pay $300.00 for the one that cabela's sells. :shocked2: thanks.

An acquaintance uses 5 gal plastic buckets with sealable lids that he buries in the back yard.

Never had any problem with neighbors tampering with his stash, either.

God bless

I wouldn't get anal about it. I have a case of GOEX sitting on a shelf in the closet in my man cave. On the next shelf up are a dozen or so canisters of various smokless powders.

If you have kids that you're worried about fooling around with it, any sort of plastic box that you can put a lock on will do. You can even drill a hole through both ends of one of those plastic under-bed storage boxes used for blankets and things, and use cheap padlocks to secure the lid.

I use a couple of army ammo cans. Watertight, sealable, humidity control, stackable, etc. A 50 caliber can will hold 7 one pounders, a 800 round 5.56 can will hold 11-12 one pounders, a 40 mm grenade can will hold 20-22 one pounders. Just seek a Army surplus store in your area, they shold have what you need.

I use these cans for BP, smokeless, and primmers and never had any problems with ignition.

I recall reading somewhere that storage containers for powder should be vented or able to vent in order to prevent gases from building up and basically causing the container to explode if there was ever a fire.

If you live in the country and have a septic system put in in the last fourty years or so you already have a cement lined powder storage area. The newer septic systems have a lid, and a "riser" about 18 inches then a second lid/cover. This is an ideal space to store powder safe and secure. Who would snoop in your septic system? :surrender: Just put the powder cans in a waterproof plastic container or sealed plastic bag and put them in the riser.

You may be right but I don't think the cans are vented. My garage will be the last place anyone will want to be if the place is on fire, I keep 3-4 pounds of BP at a time, 3-4 cans of smokeless, 8-10 K of primers, and XXXXXXX rounds of center fire loaded ammo, and countless cans of aerosols . I have a suppression system above my bench, two extinguisher in the garage, and three more in the house. The powder is safer in my possession than in most stores & supplier warehouses. If you have to buy 25 pounds at a time and store it--- you will have what ifs with most places and methods of storage. If a fire comes, I will get the family & pets out to the best of my ability and tell the fire department to not go in until the place is rubble. It is nice to be able to go to my local guy and buy one or two at a time but I do understand the folks that have to buy in bulk. Be safe.

Septic tank. Really. Sounds a bit extreme to me.
Mine's in ammo cans out in the shed.

septic tank's kinda busy doing what it was supposed to do. i just have a shelf in the basement with the cans all neat- in- a- row. were i to feel the need to cache the stuff, i'd put the cans into ammo cans and then put the ammo cans in five gallon mud buckets, and then i'd have to dome digging (in this rocky soil, that would be dangerously close to work).

that is, if i were to feel a legitimate need to cache the stuff, such as, f'rinstance, an extreem political climate or a suspected breakdown in social order, or the belief that maybe the paranoia wasn't all that unjustified... where'd i put that darned shovel, anyway...

We have a 1200 degree/45 minute gun safe.Would this be the best place to store BP? I usually only keep about 5 lbs.

No, gun safes are bad. Should the temp get up high enough to set off that powder, the safe will try to contain the pressure, but it won't be able to, and there will be a lot of shrapnel.
Take a look on a Goex can. There's a little dimple in the top of the can. That's the weak spot. The can should rupture there if something happened.

Stumpkiller said:
I use the cardboard container Powderinc shipped it to me in. ;-) Holds 25 cans easy. It's in an interior closet.

It will either blow out the windows or the fire; but at least it will not create shrapnel.

ditto..... :thumbsup:

I keep about 1,000 pounds right by the fire place. just kidding. I just keep it on a shelf with the rest of my reloadig stuff

A wooden box, or even a styrofoam cooler is a much better container for storing black powder than a gun safe. You want the powder to burn, if it gets above the flash point of the powder, NOT EXPLODE.

I know of one friend who has a large wooden box, with spacers made of wood to separate each can from the other. The Bottom and sides of the box are made of thicker wood than the top. He figured that since heat rises, he would be better off it the powder burns going straight up, rather burning out or EXPLODING to the sides and setting off neighboring cans. He keeps his box in a basement where its cools, and the last place flames will get to. But, he used to live in a house without a basement, and he kept the box in the back of his garage, where it was both cool and dry.

The first year he stored powder in the box, he checked the air temperature in the box on the hottest days. When it 100 degrees F. outside, the temperature in the box rarely got up to 75 degrees. Since the flash point of BP is generally 450 degrees, he felt it was safer storing black powder in his garage than storing gasoline for his lawn mower! I store, and still recommend storing powder in the cardboard shipping box it comes in. The Company really does know how to store the powder during shipping. And, from personal experience, I can assure you that the back of a Semi-Trailer truck driving down the highway in the summer heat gets a lot hotter- up to 140 degrees!--- Than what occurs in a garage, or in your dry basement.

The idea of sinking 5 gal. buckets into a hole in the ground, under a storage shed also makes sense. The shed keeps the sun from heating the container, while the soil keeps the ambient temperature below 70 degrees. The same idea applies to Cisterns, where the stench may be off-putting, but the temperature is often in the 60s, even in the summer time.

I personally like styrofoam coolers because they are so cheap and light weight.

I keep my eye out for those old, metal, Coleman coolers and ice chests that were all we had up through the 1960s. You can still buy them new, but I am hunting the garage and estate sales for a " deal". For storing BP, a used cooler with some rust on it, that I can buy cheap is perfect. I can spray paint the rusted area with a Krylon paint to stop the rust. I am not interested in winning fashion points with my cooler at a picnic! :blah: :grin: You can also put a latch, and hasp to hold a lock on such coolers, and they make a pretty good "seat" when needed.

I tend to use the " My GARBAGE" technique for home security. Things of value are stored under a lot of "stuff" that isn't. If the " stuff " looks enough like clutter, or Garbage, and too bothersome to move, most burglars and thieves pass it by. A flat top old cooler in the garage with a stack of junk piled on top of it isn't going to get a second look. I interviewed way too many thieves and burglars, and then their victims( who told me what my clients missed of value, and where it was located) to believe otherwise.

I store mine in military ammo boxe. Stored in a specific location on the farm. Those who need to know, know where it(they) is stored for fast and easy use. I actually have about 700 parper cartridge rounds(for both reenactor use and live fire),made up for the musket and all thats needed for quicks use is the mini ball and the cap. Soted nearby.

Latest posts

Back